Clown growth rate

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again everyone, how long does it take clowns to reach full size? I've had a pair for 3 years and they don't seem to have grown much (they were tiny when I got them). They now measure 1.5" , I was expecting them to be much bigger by now. It's a 35 gallon tank, any advice to encourage growth?

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again everyone, how long does it take clowns to reach full size? I've had a pair for 3 years and they don't seem to have grown much (they were tiny when I got them). They now measure 1.5" , I was expecting them to be much bigger by now. It's a 35 gallon tank, any advice to encourage growth?
Do they have any tank mates or how often do you feed them? Mine are a solid 1.5-2 inches now. The female is about 1.5 at least while the male is 2

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I just bought 2 aquacultured percula clown pairs and they are tiny too. I don’t know the answer to your question but I just assumed it would be fast. Your post now has me wondering. Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have any tank mates or how often do you feed them? Mine are a solid 1.5-2 inches now. The female is about 1.5 at least while the male is 2
I only feed once per day, 1 cube of marine mix. they have 3 other tank mates so I don't want to over feed. Should I feed more?

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230923-142447.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923-142447.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 48

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition TDO pellets use a feed that's designed to quickly grow fish. They use it in commercial aquaculture. They also put a coating on it promote better coloration. I have a pair of 1.75-2" clowns that love the small size pellets. I've definitely noticed growth since I added them on 6/7/23.

Hard to tell if you're underfeeding but the pellets are a good supplement. It's easy to add a few pellets without overdoing it.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition TDO pellets use a feed that's designed to quickly grow fish. They use it in commercial aquaculture. They also put a coating on it promote better coloration. I have a pair of 1.75-2" clowns that love the small size pellets. I've definitely noticed growth since I added them on 6/7/23.

Hard to tell if you're underfeeding but the pellets are a good supplement. It's easy to add a few pellets without overdoing it.
great, I'll give it a try thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This will be hard to determine as its based on type, how bred, diet and overall health.
I have 11 full grown clowns and it took them close to 2 years to reach ful growth, nad there are two who are the smaller of the clan.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be hard to determine as its based on type, how bred, diet and overall health.
I have 11 full grown clowns and it took them close to 2 years to reach ful growth, nad there are two who are the smaller of the clan.
When I bought them, one had a swim bladder problem, I should have returned it but it makes me wonder if they have health issues from the shop

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I bought them, one had a swim bladder problem, I should have returned it but it makes me wonder if they have health issues from the shop
can be many factors-
Shipping issues
Over breeding
Quality of breeder stock
poor diet

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cube of frozen Marine Cuisine from San Francisco Bay Brand is 90.8% water 7.1% protein, 1.7% fat. If that's what you are using, it's very little nutrition, even though most fish attack the morsels when fed. You did not mention what the 3 tank mates are. My guess is they could use more protein and fat. Just a pinch of small pellets will contain more nourishment than the cubes. Of course fresh fish, clams etc would also be a great way to go. Don't want to overfeed, but I think you are a little on the low side.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Fireclown and his mate are 32 years old and they are only about 2 1/2".

wow! i know nothing about fire clowns, is that small for a fire clown?
can be many factors-
Shipping issues
Over breeding
Quality of breeder stock
poor diet
I hope it's not something I'm doing, I'll purchase my next ones from a different breeder when the time comes

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cube of frozen Marine Cuisine from San Francisco Bay Brand is 90.8% water 7.1% protein, 1.7% fat. If that's what you are using, it's very little nutrition, even though most fish attack the morsels when fed. You did not mention what the 3 tank mates are. My guess is they could use more protein and fat. Just a pinch of small pellets will contain more nourishment than the cubes. Of course fresh fish, clams etc would also be a great way to go. Don't want to overfeed, but I think you are a little on the low side.
Thanks for the advice, I'm in the UK so it's a different company. I'm going to try pellets from now on ☺️

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New little spectrum pellets are good.
I finally got mine to eat formula one pellets after all this time but she's so picky and really a pain when it comes to food. Always has been.
I think it's good to get some greens into them and she'll eat formula 2 flakes if I trick her.
Emphasis on the word trick.

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New little spectrum pellets are good.
I finally got mine to eat formula one pellets after all this time but she's so picky and really a pain when it comes to food. Always has been.
I think it's good to get some greens into them and she'll eat formula 2 flakes if I trick her.
Emphasis on the word trick.
great advice, many thanks

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're Amphiprion perculer, do you think I'm under feeding (one cube per day marine mix)
Most reef fish eat throughout the day. As others mentioned pellets are a good source of nutrients. You could throw in a pinch in the morning and evening. You could also get an auto feeder and have it supplement throughout the day. I think 1 pellet per fish per hour is a good starting point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back