Clown help

RudyMc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Platinum clown has red irritation marks. I️ got two who were pairs and the other one doesn’t seem to have these marks. I️ was wondering if you could help me figure out what it is and how to treat it?
8ecabc8565421700121a88c1d546415d.heic
3ffd31327fe16747201c1ddf664ea841.heic

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in formalin bath, looks to be an injury... but could also be parasitic... are they breathing heavy? How long have you had them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be a potentially severe infection. I would suggest an acriflavin dip (ruby reef rally has this in it) followed by antibiotics in QT. I would suggest you do this quickly as that looks like it's going to get worse quickly. Kanaplex + furan 2 + metroplex all at the same time with extra aeration.

OP
OP
R

RudyMc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be a potentially severe infection. I would suggest an acriflavin dip (ruby reef rally has this in it) followed by antibiotics in QT. I would suggest you do this quickly as that looks like it's going to get worse quickly. Kanaplex + furan 2 + metroplex all at the same time with extra aeration.

Thank you so much I️ will try that

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice and definitly needs to be done asap. An infection or uronema is what you are probably dealing with.
Im not an expert but I wouldn't use formalin on fish that have open wounds.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great advice and definitly needs to be done asap. An infection or uronema is what you are probably dealing with.
Im not an expert but I wouldn't use formalin on fish that have open wounds.

No expert either but you can do it, half dose lots of air. I just did it with 5 true percula. They had uronema and potentially Brooklynella, it saved their lives. Its nasty stuff but can be used responsibly in late stages of infection.
Now happy and living in my display.

623DBF33-C70F-41D0-8459-466D7E83DB68.jpeg

4A8C8D19-0E79-463D-923D-F5516F31CA55.jpeg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my thought

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is either uronema (clownfish can get it) or a bacterial infection.

I would perform a formalin bath first (Quick Cure mentioned above contains formalin): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

And then transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT (to prevent reinfection) and treat with Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2.

That strategy will address both the possibility of a bacterial infection + Uronema marinum.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert either but you can do it, half dose lots of air. I just did it with 5 true percula. They had uronema and potentially Brooklynella, it saved their lives. Its nasty stuff but can be used responsibly in late stages of infection.
Now happy and living in my display.
Good to know. I was always under the impression that you shouldn't use formalin on fish that have open wounds and that it should be used as a last resort.
Now I know quick cure has formalin in it but could it be that's better to use in this case then straight 37% formalin since it's concentration is much less?

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I was always under the impression that you shouldn't use formalin on fish that have open wounds and that it should be used as a last resort.
Now I know quick cure has formalin in it but could it be that's better to use in this case then straight 37% formalin since it's concentration is much less?
I would say yes and it has malachite green! I have never used straight formalin, quick cure saved my little guys! I’m sure it will for you!
I split the dose in half, half in morning half at night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back