Clown, mandarin, and ich.

DeadPhish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved tanks about two months ago and after about a month my maroon clown started showing signs of ich.

Took him out, he’s in QT being treated with cupramine but my mandarin is still in the tank as there are no pods or anything in the QT for him to eat.

I understand I need to leave the DT fallow for 90 days before reintroducing the clown or adding new fish.

The question is: does it count as fallow if there’s a mandarin only in there and will the cycle complete and get rid of ich from the DT if I wait 90 days or do I need to QT the mandarin too? If so, how the hell do you QT/treat a mandarin for extended periods of time, just keep buying and adding pods? Will it hold the ich in it’s gills or fins since it cannot get icy per se because of not having scales?

Thanks for the help.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the mandarin can be a carrier for ich even if you can’t see any lesions. QT is going to be challenging. You can keep buying pods. You can also seed a QT with live rock from display and feed heavy phyto and put extra rock or pod hotel in there. The phyto will help the pod population increase. You can also hatch baby brine shrimp and feed daily or twice daily. I had to do this and it was challenging but worked.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not say this is 100% accurate but I believe mandarins cannot catch ick. has something to do with there slime coats.
Actually they can have marine Ich. Because of their very thick slime coat, they seldom show the tell-tale white spots, and can be carriers of the parasite.

Best way to treat mandarins you suspect have Ich is with Tank Transfer Method.

Or treat with CP for velvet, ich, Brook, Uronema.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back