Clown not hosting anemone

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns used to host my BTA. I had to let my tank sit fallow due to ich, so they were in quarantine. Yesterday I finally added them back, then they still aren’t hosting. Should I give it more time? They aren’t hosting any specific area- just swimming around, foraging etc. My main reason for starting this tank was to have a breeding pair of clowns that host. Just want to know if there’s something I should do early on to help! Any advice would be appreciated :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is the host, not the fish.
You can get the fish seek protection of the anemone by give it a threat . I often chase the fish slightly with a stick. If you do this and herd them a little toward the anemone, they will get in the anemone. Once in, they will stay in if the host is a natural host of the clown species. The affinity of the clown to their host is much greater if you use natural hosts. The non natural host, they do use it for protection but not the the same degree.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its hit and miss. As orion stated, the clown is willing- the anemone is the one who becomes reseptive to a guest persay. Often, give it time.3
One thing you can try without forcing any action is too drop a couple of pellets or other small food for the clown into the anemone. The clown may go after it and land into the anemone and they create a relationship.
Be aware though that clown are resistant and NOT immune to stings and could potentially get stung by anemone

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back