Clown resting on Sand and rocks

Dou g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two clownfish to our 20 gallon long tank. Only other inhabitant at this time is a small long tentacle anemone and a new toadstool coral. After the first night the smaller clownfish has been resting on rock and sand various times at night and day. But swims up when I approach. Originally fed frozen mysis shrimp, but noticed white poop attached to clown for a short time. Havent seen again yet. Switched to flakes to help determine if parasites or mysis, and it has been eating.

Water parameters were fine except salinity and PH. Salinity was high 1.028-1.029, and is slowly being lowered to 1.026. PH looked to have been around 7.5 to 8.0. using marine buffer to get it closer to 8.3. No Nitrites or ammonia, I tested with api drops last night.

I have put together a 5 gallon medicine tank with close to ideal parameters, new seawater . Used filter media. I plan to treat both fish with API general cure, but I was worried to transfer fish to hospital tank last night due to differences in salinity and PH. Can I just net and move or do I need to slowly acclimate?

Temp on both tanks is 79.

Thanks for any advice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a video of both fish?

If the temperature and salinity of both tanks is the same, you can just move the fish over.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dou g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, was at work when I posted. Video is from about an hour ago. The lighter color clown is the one laying on sand or rocks. Sorry for the background noise.

Seems to be doing better today, but can't be for certain. Salinity is now closer to 1.027. Ph is still low 7.6, but dosed with marine buffer again.

Attachments

• VID_20220727_182557303.mp4
    50.1 MB
  • VID_20220727_182535753.mp4
    26.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, was at work when I posted. Video is from about an hour ago. The lighter color clown is the one laying on sand or rocks. Sorry for the background noise.

Seems to be doing better today, but can't be for certain. Salinity is now closer to 1.027. Ph is still low 7.6, but dosed with marine buffer again.
The focus of the videos was a bit off, but don’t see any signs of acute disease. The clowns are just a bit “mopey”. That can be a sign that a disease is starting up, or it can be normal as the fish become accustomed to the tank.
I would continue to feed mysids and small pellets if you can find them, set the hospital tank up, but hold off moving them over unless they show more severe symptoms.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dou g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continued response, Jay. Yeah, phone camera isn't too great at focusing. I did end up moving the clown this evening to the hospital tank. When I came home from work the fish was resting on its side in a rock crevice it frequents, but breathing somewhat heavily. When I put food in the tank it did swim up and eat. Attached are 3 videos. Clown resting, poop found after being moved to hospital tank, and better video of clown up close. Looks like there are some wisps on the fins or body? Any ideas what I should treat for, if anything?
Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• VID_20220728_184950575~2.mp4
    27.5 MB
  • VID_20220728_190739300~2.mp4
    27.6 MB
  • VID_20220728_193023140~2.mp4
    54 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continued response, Jay. Yeah, phone camera isn't too great at focusing. I did end up moving the clown this evening to the hospital tank. When I came home from work the fish was resting on its side in a rock crevice it frequents, but breathing somewhat heavily. When I put food in the tank it did swim up and eat. Attached are 3 videos. Clown resting, poop found after being moved to hospital tank, and better video of clown up close. Looks like there are some wisps on the fins or body? Any ideas what I should treat for, if anything?
Thanks, Doug

The first video shows a fish in much worse condition, so it is going downhill very fast. The mucusy feces is interspersed with sections of normal feces, so that is more indicative of a fish that isn't getting enough food (though not eating properly). The rapid breathing is the main concern.

I'm not positive of a direction for you to go here. I guess I would give the fish a 5 minute FW dip and then move it over to the 5 gallon tank and treat with copper (I suspect a gill parasite known as Amyloodinium).

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dou g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first video was taken first and that has been occuring on and off the last 3-4 days. The second video of the clown is after moving into the hospital tank, but it does lay down in there too when left alone.

I'll keep offering a variety of food and will research steps to perform a freshwater dip and the copper treatment if that the most likely solution.

OP
OP
D

Dou g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the clownfish was as good as dead. Had to order the copper online. Gave a FW dip then placed back in hospital tank. Two days of breathing on the tank bottom refusing to eat before copper arrived. Was looking frail and thin. When the copper arrived I did another FW dip and began treatment. Now our fish seems heathier than when we got it. No more resting on the bottom, swims freely, and the appetite is strong. Will continue treatment for the recommended timeframe before moving back to the main tank. Thank you so much. Hopefully main tank isnt contaminated. The other clown has been doing fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back