Clown Trigger, Lionfish, Harlequin Tusk, Regal Angel, Blue Ribbon Eel Tank

MAN-O-WAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what your honest and truthful opinions are in regards to having this group of fish together in a tank is!! Do you believe I could have softies as well?!

kyla bidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure the trigger and angel will nip at any coral. Including softies. Lion fish will eat inverts so you wouldn't be able to keep a clean up crew. I would still buy at least a big group of hermits and just replace them every couple of months though. with those fish your already looking at a heavy bioload so the hermits would really help with keeping nutrients as low as possible. Usually you can get them for less than a dollar a piece if you buy them in large quantities. I would start out with just some GSP. Get a big piece so that it has a better chamce of surviving some nips. Its cheap and I think it would be a good way to test your fish's taste for softies. I wouldn't get any zoanthids or palys though. Maybe some xenia? If your fish dont nip the GSP id try xenia. I dont know if all of those fish are compatible or not, but someone else will chime in soon hopefully.

guichi1210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all those fishes specially the clown trigger and harlequin tusk but I can see many challenges with the list. From no invertebrates allowed to a trigger attacking a slower lion fish and definitively the eel to an eel straving because they are hard to feed to begin with specially when you have aggressive eaters like the trigger and tusk. IMO.

guichi1210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually live in Seattle now but I lived in a town called California in the state of Maryland. I used to have a ribbon eel that I got it to eat frozen silversides but feeding it was at least a 30 minute event since the ****** trigger and banana wrasse took the food to fast.

OP
OP
MAN-O-WAR

MAN-O-WAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guichi, what would you put in this 65gal?! image.jpeg

guichi1210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I like fish with personality, I would do a clown and niger trigger, harlequin tusk and maybe a medium to large red coris wrasse. For color, yellow tangs. That's given you will have no inverts (shrimps, crabs...). However, I've been able to keep snails with those fish in the past while only loosing a few per month as long as I feed them well. They are easy and inexpensive to replace. I never had any of those fish nip at my corals but maybe I got lucky with the clown trigger. That should be the only risky one.

They'll have lots of fun swimming around the arcs.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65g is waaaay too small for all of your fish except the ribbon eel, but that is a fish that has very specific requirements.

guichi1210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitively need a new tank or rehomed to another aquarist when they reach ~5 inches each. Which is fast for the tusk ans clown trigger.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MAN-O-WAR

MAN-O-WAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I like fish with personality, I would do a clown and niger trigger, harlequin tusk and maybe a medium to large red coris wrasse. For color, yellow tangs. That's given you will have no inverts (shrimps, crabs...). However, I've been able to keep snails with those fish in the past while only loosing a few per month as long as I feed them well. They are easy and inexpensive to replace. I never had any of those fish nip at my corals but maybe I got lucky with the clown trigger. That should be the only risky one.

They'll have lots of fun swimming around the arcs.
Thanks for all the advice guichi! I want to get as small of fish as I can! I just have 6 chromis right now!

OP
OP
MAN-O-WAR

MAN-O-WAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ribbon eel is really hard to get to eat. Ive had 3 and had luck with my 1st one but tht was way after a month it finally ate but then it slid thru a hole and died :/. The other 2 died of starvation. I loveeee them but super hard to start making them eat

OP
OP
MAN-O-WAR

MAN-O-WAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ribbon eel is really hard to get to eat. Ive had 3 and had luck with my 1st one but tht was way after a month it finally ate but then it slid thru a hole and died :/. The other 2 died of starvation. I loveeee them but super hard to start making them eat
Thanks merlberg! What size tank? Looks like you tried really hard to keep these guys or ladies, lol.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np n At the time my tank was a 55 but was planning to upgrade. I sure did lol i didnt want to give up clearly but by the 3rd death I needed a break lol. You really have to baby them when you first get them. I was at that tank daily with different food and a long feeder stick to persuade them lol. You dnt understand how excited i was when i got my 1st one to eat lol. I could of almost kissed it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] cuz the hard part was finally over but i didnt knw they could slilde out the smallest hole ughhhhhhh

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back