Clownfish acting like a tang?

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed my clownfish trying to eat algae off of the glass like my hippo tang. Usually it’s hard to watch him do things because when he sees me he starts looking for food anybody else have a clown that grazes algae?

UNREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 pairs of clowns. One pair takes nori directly from the clip with the tangs, not much but still enough to notice. The two others sometimes eats some nori that tore off and went past them. The other no interest that I saw.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed my clownfish trying to eat algae off of the glass like my hippo tang. Usually it’s hard to watch him do things because when he sees me he starts looking for food anybody else have a clown that grazes algae?
It’s eating pods

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair will constantly eat hair algae growing in my tank it’s funny! Maybe they are after the pods but I did watch them clear one of my sps frags from algae in like 5 minutes one day. Not completely gone because I don’t think they have the mouth for it but noticeably shorter

OP
OP
BiggestE222

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was watching my hippo graze. The clownfish watched for a moment then tried to do the same. Those 2 are the real Nemo and Dori

OP
OP
BiggestE222

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just mimics the tang. I think the clowns that are bred in captivity lose some of their wild instincts so they are more likely to mimic the fish they are around.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back