Clownfish acting strange

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my absolute first post and I am in a bit of a dilemma. This is my first ever salt tank and my first run in with strange behavior such as this: https://imgur.com/gallery/dSHjqaY

Can anyone tell me what it is that is affecting my clownfish and what course of action I should take from this point?

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm sorry about your clown. One thing that strikes me as odd in your link is that the clown won't bend its body to swim. Can you provide us with more info? How long have you had him, did you qt before adding to display tank, what are water parameters and does it have any other tank mates?
#WelcometoR2R
#Reefsquad

Dale_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish do that... often.
They also do other odd behaviors that will drive you nutz.

OP
OP
Dakoda

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm sorry about your clown. One thing that strikes me as odd in your link is that the clown won't bend its body to swim. Can you provide us with more info? How long have you had him, did you qt before adding to display tank, what are water parameters and does it have any other tank mates?
#WelcometoR2R
#Reefsquad
Thanks for the quick response! This clown has been in this tank for around a month, he recently got another buddy (another Ocellaris, same size) a week ago. I did not QT before adding to my display tank, and I know that was stupid, I'm setting up a QT tank for any more new fish. I took my water down to my LFS yesterday and the day before and had my water tested (I only have freshwater testing equipment, brand new to salt) and all parameters came back, as they said, completely acceptable and nothing that should be causing any issues. PH was stable, low nitrates, no ammonia, SG at 1.025.

I'm thinking possibly some sort of parasite? He was swimming yesterday on the bottom of the tank along the sand and barely eating, today I walk into the office to find him swimming facing downwards near the surface (near no powerhead or direct flow).

I am open to any suggestions you may have!

OP
OP
Dakoda

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R
#Reefsquad
I did not tell you his tank mates, I apologize.

2 Ocellaris clownfish (including him)
1 firefish
1 mandarin goby
1 orange spot goby
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not tell you his tank mates, I apologize.

2 Ocellaris clownfish (including him)
1 firefish
1 mandarin goby
1 orange spot goby
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse
Ok so nobody overly aggressive so we can rule out bullying. Some sort of parasite would be my next guess. Any of the other inhabitants showing symptoms of anything?

OP
OP
Dakoda

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so nobody overly aggressive so we can rule out bullying. Some sort of parasite would be my next guess. Any of the other inhabitants showing symptoms of anything?
No, and that's the confusing part to me. Although, I did have another clown pass a week ago, but I took him into the LFS and they said I was likely just unlucky.. they said he looked perfectly healthy and not of any obvious signs of disease. That is why I said he got another buddy, his first one passed. Does that help?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and that's the confusing part to me. Although, I did have another clown pass a week ago, but I took him into the LFS and they said I was likely just unlucky.. they said he looked perfectly healthy and not of any obvious signs of disease. That is why I said he got another buddy, his first one passed. Does that help?
If that's the case, it's extremely unlucky.
Lets get some more eyes on it @HotRocks @4FordFamily

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the local hobbyist and this has me stumped. On break quickly but the traditional signs of things like velvet don't seem to be there (not swimming into a power head, not reclusive, etc), and while I haven't seen the fish outside of pictures / video, there doesn't seem to be the tell tale sheen or skin sloughing for velvet/brook. Tail fins do show tearing and it seems to have been evicted from the RBTA by the new clown, so I had chalked it up to he got beat up a bit and is sleeping on the couch. It doesn't appear to be the same behavior as when I had velvet in my DT.

We're in Canada so with the over the counter medication bans that means no copper, CP and most antibiotics are restricted to vet script only. The only thing I've seen locally available is general cure, methylene blue and furan-2.

OP
OP
Dakoda

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the local hobbyist and this has me stumped. On break quickly but the traditional signs of things like velvet don't seem to be there (not swimming into a power head, not reclusive, etc), and while I haven't seen the fish outside of pictures / video, there doesn't seem to be the tell tale sheen or skin sloughing for velvet/brook. Tail fins do show tearing and it seems to have been evicted from the RBTA by the new clown, so I had chalked it up to he got beat up a bit and is sleeping on the couch. It doesn't appear to be the same behavior as when I had velvet in my DT.

We're in Canada so with the over the counter medication bans that means no copper, CP and most antibiotics are restricted to vet script only. The only thing I've seen locally available is general cure, methylene blue and furan-2.

He JUST died. I pulled him out of the tank. I watched him stop breathing...

His tail looks like it’s melted away.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely had an issue with balancing himself to stay correctly swimming. I am so sorry.

Make sure to get tank bred clownfish and since you have one in there, find a smaller baby to add. May have better luck. Also, before adding a new baby, make sure all other fish stay healthy for a while first. Wishing you the best.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you and your fish :(

Wow.. so fast..
Did you see them fighting at all? My pair of clowns, one ate most of the other's tail off to ensure dominance. It survived though.

OP
OP
Dakoda

Dakoda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you and your fish :(

Wow.. so fast..
Did you see them fighting at all? My pair of clowns, one ate most of the other's tail off to ensure dominance. It survived though.

I did not witness any fighting between them, although I’m off at work for 9+ hours a day so I very easily could have missed it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now watching them like a hawk, I’m paranoid I’ll lose another. If this continues in other fish I will update this post.
Please do keep us updated. We will try to help in any way we can

Back