Clownfish acting strange

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i noticed my clownfish has been acting weird, its been a week since my fallow period ended and all the other fish have been fine but my clownfish has been twitching and one of his fins seem to bend the other way( maybe its hard to see in the video. It doesnt seem to be ich since the tang will have probably shown symptoms first, but he does seem to be botheres by something. 3 days ago the male clown disappeared and i was never able to know if it died since i couldnt see any dead fish around my tank or in the sump. Can this be ich all over again because if it is im done not doing a 4th fallow period. I did the QT to the teeth even had the QT in the basement and kept the copper power at 2.50 to be sure. Also did 3 rounds of prazi 5 weeks apart and did a FW dip on all my fish 1 day prior to adding to DT.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me in the video, it looks like a clown just being a clown! Fingers crossed that's the case :)

I think as long as you don't see white spots, over the next little while, chances are good you're in the clear for Ich.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me in the video, it looks like a clown just being a clown! Fingers crossed that's the case :)

I think as long as you don't see white spots, over the next little while, chances are good you're in the clear for Ich.
Hopefully although im still curious as to how the other clown just dissapeared in a day. He is breathing super fast but my guess is thats normal?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate the fish back from QT? Same salinity and Temp between the two?

How was the clown that disappeared looking once you put him back in after the fw dip and back in?

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate the fish back from QT? Same salinity and Temp between the two?

How was the clown that disappeared looking once you put him back in after the fw dip and back in?
I basically kept the salinity of the QT identical to the DT and dropped them didnt have any problems. All the fish are fine even the two clowns where perfectly normal for a couple of days until the male clown just dissapeared, i even checked all over the rockwork and nothing to be found. All the fish acted fine during the FW dip except the pintail fairy wrasse which has always been a drama queen. I only saw my royal gramma scratch once but then never again. I doubt its ich or flukes since i went overkill with it. Maybe its because the female lost the male that shes acting like that? My guess is that the constant treatment of copper ( i had to do 30 days 3 times ) i have no idea though.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically kept the salinity of the QT identical to the DT and dropped them didnt have any problems. All the fish are fine even the two clowns where perfectly normal for a couple of days until the male clown just dissapeared, i even checked all over the rockwork and nothing to be found. All the fish acted fine during the FW dip except the pintail fairy wrasse which has always been a drama queen. I only saw my royal gramma scratch once but then never again. I doubt its ich or flukes since i went overkill with it. Maybe its because the female lost the male that shes acting like that?
Sounds ok, what are your other water parameters like?

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok, what are your other water parameters like?
Alk has been kept great it fluctuates from 8.2-8.5 acros are growing well. Cal ive always kept it at 450 and mag at 1380. Nitrates at 5 and phosphates at 0.05. Salinity ive always kept at 1.026.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clown is in distress. I do notice the lower dorsal fin semi-shredded and likely due to aggression. I have a suspicion that the dots which I cannot see may likely be a result of start of brooklynella. Although some of the traits of brook are hazy, milky appearance to their skin. . . . . . most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.
Eventually the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
For temporary relief if its' brook is a freshwater bath but the treatment would be daily formalin baths for 10-12 days. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. A form of formalin would be General cure by API or ruby Rally pro. I prefer general cure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully although im still curious as to how the other clown just dissapeared in a day. He is breathing super fast but my guess is thats normal?
If this fish died into the evening, scavenger and CUC and eat it down to nothing and you'd never see remains.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is in distress. I do notice the lower dorsal fin semi-shredded and likely due to aggression. I have a suspicion that the dots which I cannot see may likely be a result of start of brooklynella. Although some of the traits of brook are hazy, milky appearance to their skin. . . . . . most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.
Eventually the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
For temporary relief if its' brook is a freshwater bath but the treatment would be daily formalin baths for 10-12 days. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. A form of formalin would be General cure by API or ruby Rally pro. I prefer general cure
I was able to take a picture of him, tbh i dont see anything on him at all only that he started twitching a bit and his right fin looked twisted like he was in distress. You are right about the CUC though i didnt know brook can kill so fast though since i didnt see any symptoms on any of them the male simply dissapeared. I want to make sure i fix this problem before i add a juvi to the tank.

20210105_210451.jpg

Back