clownfish aggression

k34buc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few days my black and white clownfish has been extremely aggressive toward my narrow lined puffer. This behavior just came out of nowhere. Any suggestions as to why the change in clownfish behavior?

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have transitioned into a female. They tend to become more territorial at that point. Especially if it laid eggs.

OP
OP
K

k34buc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just seemed strange for the clownfish to single out the larger puffer when smaller, more active swimming fish (anthias, fairy wrasse ) are in same tank.

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put a mirror on the end of the tank if our clown starts acting up or if we add a new tank mate. Seems to get its attention Our oscellarus has been in the tank for 13 years or so

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having same issue here... my dominant female clown is just beating on the smaller male more than ever. First when she was establishing her dominance. But now it's all the time even when I'm not feeding. Poor little guy always hangs back. Hoping this is just a phase.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female clownfish that for about 3 months seemed to always chase the male back into the sea anemone if he ever left it. When she would chase him back into it, she would look like she was shaking her head and 'yelling' at him once he went back into the sea anemone. Then all of a sudden one day, she stopped doing it and just started hanging out him as if nothing happened. Truly silly antics.

Allen

OP
OP
K

k34buc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to try the mirror. Clownfish is relentlessly after my puffer.

ReefMama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put a mirror on the end of the tank if our clown starts acting up or if we add a new tank mate. Seems to get its attention Our oscellarus has been in the tank for 13 years or so

Aww... we used to have an "old lady" ocellaris. She was about 17 when we lost her. Amazing how long some of these fish can live.
I never thought about mounting a mirror! My lone maroon clown is such an angry little booger: he will go out of his way to chase a fish on the other side of the tank. If ever a fish deserved a spanking, he would be the one. I haven't had issues with any of my ocellaris clowns, luckily. That's clownfish for you though, every one of them is different and has its own wheelhouse of odd behaviors!
Thanks for the suggestion.

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mean butt fish. One time we put 6 green chromie in. Within a few days came home to find one sucked up against power head then another and another. Finally got to see what was really going on the clownfish partner in crime (malnarius wrasse) would distract the chromie and the clownfish would come up from behind bite the chromie on the tail and drag it to the power head. Executioner almost met its fate when we saw that. Only one lone surviving chromie at this point after 4 years , malnarius expired and the clownfish still just randomly goes after the chromie. Hateful!

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya we got a clown I clean or put coral in the tank he pecking at me being a pain in the butt I told my wife I ever catch him bare handed I'm flushing his butt we named him jaws

Back