Clownfish aggression

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mocha storm clown and a normal ocelarris clown, hoping they would pair, it’s been a couple weeks and they are still quite aggressive to each other, I don’t believe they are sexually mature yet, the mocha is more aggressive than the regular, but I see them fight a lot, most of the time it’s the mocha biting the regulars fins or chasing it, and the regular one will occasionally fight back by biting the gills. I have seen them lip lock one time but that’s it, the Mocha (dominant one) does the clownfish dance but the regular doesn’t seem to submit? Hopefully this works out because I love both of them, any advice? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF7AA34C-F5B3-44F6-9B6A-4D3590D6402D.jpeg

Sometimes they share the anemone, sometimes the mocha bullies the other out of it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As suspected, the bigger is likely a female. In the clownfish world, size does matter. But, it's not what you think. For clownfish, the females are larger than the males. So if you have a large clownfish or a clownfish that has been alone for a long period of time, chances are that it is a female.
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anenome, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female in SOME cases.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suspected, the bigger is likely a female. In the clownfish world, size does matter. But, it's not what you think. For clownfish, the females are larger than the males. So if you have a large clownfish or a clownfish that has been alone for a long period of time, chances are that it is a female.
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anenome, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female in SOME cases.
I don’t believe either of them have transformed yet because they were with a lot of other clowns at the fish store, obviously the mocha is the most dominant but I’m worried about the male, he doesn’t hide or breath fast or anything like that but his fins look a bit ripped, should I just let it play out?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t believe either of them have transformed yet because they were with a lot of other clowns at the fish store, obviously the mocha is the most dominant but I’m worried about the male, he doesn’t hide or breath fast or anything like that but his fins look a bit ripped, should I just let it play out?
Keep an eye on him and plan in case to isolate female in an acclimation box or similar

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will isolating the female help with aggression? As long as he’s not hiding or breathing heavily I think I should leave them right?
Im more concerned about potential damage which has begun

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of one or the other. The one getting beat up will probably end up dead.
Do you think the male can still recover even with his fins torn?(see photo above) Also the male clown is staring at the female through the acclimation box, how long should I keep her there

Last edited:

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best course of action is to remove one of them. The one being chased or being harassed will eventually be dead. Take it to the store for credit or give it to someone who doesn't have a clownfish in the tank. It's either you get them as pair in the beginning... Usually in the same hatching batch... But if you but two completely stranger in the same tank the rate of having them paired together is very low to extremely low.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more he gets beat up, it is going to add a lot of stress, may impact his eating, and can lead to bacterial infections at his injury sites.

I've seen fins recover completely, his aren't that bad yet. There is a point though close to the body where the damage is permanent. The periphery are kind of like finger nails and regrow.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more he gets beat up, it is going to add a lot of stress, may impact his eating, and can lead to bacterial infections at his injury sites.

I've seen fins recover completely, his aren't that bad yet. There is a point though close to the body where the damage is permanent. The periphery are kind of like finger nails and regrow.
i Just feel so bad, every time I put the female in the acclimation box the male clown just stares at her nonstop and seems so lost, the female does let him share the anemone with her, is this a good sign? Also she does the clownfish twitch, are these good signs?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back