Clownfish and Anemone Compatibility?

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! New to the forum. I re-entered the hobby, after 12 years, in July and setup a 150 gallon tall tank. I started added corals this past month. Everything is doing great. But I have a problem that's bothering me I'm hoping some of you could give insight on.

I started off with a large pair of gold stripe maroons and just this past week finally added an anemone. A Ritteri, to be specific. I wasn't able to find much out there on whether they're usually compatible or not. I have seen some out there successfully having the two live together. Even a YouTube video showing they can. The clowns will not go into it so far. I added it a few days ago. I tried adding GBTA before to the tank (too early tbh) and it didn't last long. But, for the time that I did have it, the clowns immediately went for it. Just not this Ritteri. I have my iPad in front of the glass playing that video of maroons in a Ritteri to train them but all it does it make the female want to go in the Alveopora. LOL

Is this an issue of compatibility or just time? Also, are their any things I can try to get them to go in? Thanks! 3CEE15CF-654C-498F-A5C8-B2AD5E310597.jpeg A97F7AD5-48E8-4E5D-BD82-FE19EB70F787.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0657.MOV
    22.6 MB

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe!! Welcome back to the hobby! As far as compatibility...they are not natural symbionts. That doesn't mean that you cant get the anemone to host but it could be a day, a few weeks, years, or never. In my experience its easier to get anemones to host clowns if: The clownfish are familiar with anemones, Its natural symbiont, and it isn't distracted by hosting something else (LPS corals...etc).

Speaking of anemones....you have a beast so be careful. Magnificent sea anemones (Ritteri's) are extremely challenging to keep especially when 1st acquired....good luck and look for cycles of deflating.

You can use this link as a point of reference

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe!! Welcome back to the hobby! As far as compatibility...they are not natural symbionts. That doesn't mean that you cant get the anemone to host but it could be a day, a few weeks, years, or never. In my experience its easier to get anemones to host clowns if: The clownfish are familiar with anemones, Its natural symbiont, and it isn't distracted by hosting something else (LPS corals...etc).

Speaking of anemones....you have a beast so be careful. Magnificent sea anemones (Ritteri's) are extremely challenging to keep especially when 1st acquired....good luck and look for cycles of deflating.

You can use this link as a point of reference

Thanks for the info! I was concerned with them not naturally being compatible. Though I still hang onto a little hope, since it is possible in captivity. So far, the Ritteri is doing great! He's still moving around a little trying to find the right spot, but his coloration is great and it's completely inflated, great coloration (soft purple with yellow/white tips), swaying in the flow, and eating well. I suppose I'll just give it a month or two and see how it goes. If there's no dice, I'll see if my LFS can take it back and let me swap it out for a RBTA. Thanks again!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was concerned with them not naturally being compatible. Though I still hang onto a little hope, since it is possible in captivity. So far, the Ritteri is doing great! He's still moving around a little trying to find the right spot, but his coloration is great and it's completely inflated, great coloration (soft purple with yellow/white tips), swaying in the flow, and eating well. I suppose I'll just give it a month or two and see how it goes. If there's no dice, I'll see if my LFS can take it back and let me swap it out for a RBTA. Thanks again!
No problem! One word of advice to minimize it from moving.... is to place it on its own pedestal where it cannot touch any structure around it.... that will minimize its movements....also they get pretty large.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! One word of advice to minimize it from moving.... is to place it on its own pedestal where it cannot touch any structure around it.... that will minimize its movements....also they get pretty large.

Funny you mention this. I've had a pedestal rock laying around that I didn't put in the display yet. Been saving it for an occasion where something big would need to be high up on the rock work but looked odd by itself up there with no coral. I'll give it a try and see how it likes it. Also, yes. 1' 6", if I have that right. Massive! It's already 8-10". lol

Last edited:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this. I've had a pedestal rock laying around that I didn't put in the display yet. Been saving it for an occasion where something big would need to be high up on the rock work but looked odd by itself up there with no coral. I'll got it a try and see how it likes it. Also, yes. 1' 6", if I have that right. Massive! It's already 8-10". lol

Nice!! And yes that's pretty big...If its healthy I wouldn't feed it unless you are trying to grow it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! New to the forum. I re-entered the hobby, after 12 years, in July and setup a 150 gallon tall tank. I started added corals this past month. Everything is doing great. But I have a problem that's bothering me I'm hoping some of you could give insight on.

I started off with a large pair of gold stripe maroons and just this past week finally added an anemone. A Ritteri, to be specific. I wasn't able to find much out there on whether they're usually compatible or not. I have seen some out there successfully having the two live together. Even a YouTube video showing they can. The clowns will not go into it so far. I added it a few days ago. I tried adding GBTA before to the tank (too early tbh) and it didn't last long. But, for the time that I did have it, the clowns immediately went for it. Just not this Ritteri. I have my iPad in front of the glass playing that video of maroons in a Ritteri to train them but all it does it make the female want to go in the Alveopora. LOL

Is this an issue of compatibility or just time? Also, are their any things I can try to get them to go in? Thanks! 3CEE15CF-654C-498F-A5C8-B2AD5E310597.jpeg A97F7AD5-48E8-4E5D-BD82-FE19EB70F787.jpeg
This is a link to a list of which anemones host which clownfish species:

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a link to a list of which anemones host which clownfish species:

Right. But other sources out there say the Maroons and Magnificas are compatible:

Additionally, there's video of the two living together fine:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. But other sources out there say the Maroons and Magnificas are compatible:

Additionally, there's video of the two living together fine:

Hey @JoeP26, @OrionN is a legend in this space. He gives excellent advice and knows a lot. With that said, as mentioned earlier, its not impossible for them to match just saying they are not natural symbionts.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @JoeP26, @OrionN is a legend in this space. He gives excellent advice and knows a lot. With that said, as mentioned earlier, its not impossible for them to match just saying they are not natural symbionts.

I know. I'm just saying the consensus seems to be mixed. Not a lot out there on the two together. What is out there says they are. I have yet to see any source say they flat out aren't. Here's to hoping!

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @JoeP26 ,not sure i follow what you mean?

The consensus on Ritteri hosting maroons seems to lean more towards that they're compatible with each other. However, there's not a whole lot of info, in general, on this combo. I suspect it's due to the fact that everyone wants BTAs, LTAs, and sometimes Seabae. Ritteri is not a commonly sought out Anemone in reefing. Plus, maroons aren't highly sought out either. Everyone wants designers. So, I'm not surprised that there's not much info on one of the least sought out anemones hosting one of the lesser sought out clownfish in the hobby. That being said, no one says Ritteri can't host Maroons. They say they can and we have video evidence of it plus a few pictures that pop up in google search. At this point, it's a "maybe it'll workout" scenario, which I hope it does because I really like both of them.

What I was hoping for here was someone who also has this combo chiming in and offering insight. Doesn't seem that'll happen though due to the rarity in the hobby of both being together. In which case, I'll be proud to be the first here.

Last edited:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consensus on Ritteri hosting maroons seems to lean more towards that they're compatible with each other. However, there's not a whole lot of info, in general, on this combo. I suspect it's due to the fact that everyone wants BTAs, LTAs, and sometimes Seabae. Ritteri is not a commonly sought out Anemone in reefing. Plus, maroons aren't highly sought out either. Everyone wants designers. So, I'm not surprised that there's not much info on one of the least sought out anemones hosting one of the lesser sought out clownfish in the hobby. That being said, no one says Ritteri can't host Maroons. They say they can and we have video evidence of it plus a few pictures that pop up in google search. At this point, it's a "maybe it'll workout" scenario, which I hope it does because I really like both of them.

What I was hoping for here was someone who also has this combo chiming in and offering insight. Doesn't seem that'll happen though due to the rarity in the hobby of both being together. In which case, I'll be proud to be the first here.
I guess I'm a little confused. Your question was answered earlier. Maroon Clownfish do not naturally host Mag sea anemones. Ocellaris clownfish are not naturally hosted by bubble-tips, yet there are dozens of examples of this in the aquarium. Im not saying your Mag wont host your Maroon, i am saying that is not a natural fit, because of this that can make hosting more challenging.

Case in point... i have a pair of orange skunk clowns being hosted by bubble-tips. This is not a natural pairing, however these skunks were in an aquarium with anemones...they know what they are and pairing was not an issue at all.

1601873117375.png

On the flip side i also have a mag anemone hosting Ocellaris clowns - natural symbionts---no issue pairing them what so ever. Actually the clowns rarely leave this anemone at all.

1601873520955.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back