Clownfish babies

hbommb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on raising clownfish babies?
We have a pair of clowns who laid eggs and captured many of the little dudes. We used the top off tank in the sump as a breeder tank with a little bubbler in it. It's been nearly 24 hours now and a few are still alive. We used a 50/50 mix of tank water and new salt water. Fed them 3 times today with rotifers and phytoplankton.

Trying to figure out the next steps or any tips for success.

Google says a lot of things but we want to be successful fish parents.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search on here there are tons of really good write ups on how people have successfully raised the fry. I can’t remember but a woman posted her super in depth write up and it was amazing.

maybe someone on here would remember it. Good luck!

Upvote 0

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most helpful thing that aided me in raising clownfish larvae was putting a white piece of paper in the bottom of a 5 and half gallon tank, fill it with 3" of fresh saltwater and add a small light to attract the rotifer when feeding. I used an air pump and an open airline tubing to aerate the water. Have the sides of the tank blacked out with black paper. This helps the larvae clowns see the roti better. After they had time to eat, I used a rigid tube connected to airline tubing and syphoned all the debris and wastes out of the tank and added new clean saltwater. I raised 7 into juvenile clownfish. It was fun,,,once! LOL

Upvote 0

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our setup since we use a different auto top off. It's about 5gallons full now.

I still feeding reef nutrition rotifers. And a dash of phyto. There's probably 40 fry in it still alive.

Attachments

• 20230314_130714.jpg
    20230314_130714.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back