Clownfish biting and now I want to bite back! What have you done?

Have you ever had a clown fish stop biting after it started?

• YES (do tell in the thread)

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 74 83.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well well well...

I have always "boasted" about how I have never had clowns that bit me. Well today, that changed! My daughter had set up her nano and then she went off to college so I inherited her juvenile pair of snowflake clowns. One of them hit puberty and now is misbehaving by methodically and aggressively stroking my hand with it's little mouth! Luckily it's still too small to hurt real bad but every once in a while she gets a nice little pinch!

So that being said. I hate them.

Ok not really but I can't stand biting fish and if there is no way to control it then I will get rid of them. Have any of you ever had a clown stop biting after it started and if so did you do anything to help stop it?

I WANT TO BITE YOU.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well well well...

I have always "boasted" about how I have never had clowns that bit me. Well today, that changed! My daughter had set up her nano and then she went off to college so I inherited her juvenile paid of snowflake clowns. One of them hit puberty and now is misbehaving by methodically and aggressively stroking my hand with it's little mouth! Luckily it's still too small to hurt real bad but every once in a while she gets a nice little pinch!

So that being said. I hate them.

Ok not really but I can't stand biting fish and if there is no way to control it then I will get rid of them. Have any of you ever had a clown stop biting after it started and if so did you do anything to help stop it?

I WANT TO BITE YOU.jpg
LOLOL! My female bites me ALL. THE. TIME. She's mean as a snake. So bad that my 3-year-old named her "Bad Guy Fish" Hahahaha!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until they get tired of trying to bite your hand and go for more!!!

My clown leaped out of the tank trying to bite my face. Luckily, she landed in my tank top.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My clown leaped out of the tank trying to bite my face. Luckily, she landed in my tank top.
WOW!! :eek::eek::eek: That's giving it your all! LOL Mine seems content to just do as much damage as she can to as much of my hand/arm that's in the water

Tom Davey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Maroon clown with gold strips. It was the worst fish I ever owned he would try to bite me but it didn't bother me so much, he would attack corals he would knock over baseball sized rocks onto corals to try and kill them. I had to glue everything down to stop him then he finally mellowed out a little but he would attack anything that got near his side of the tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yep it's already leaped totally out of the water trying to get my arm!

Mine have drawn blood..... they are not nice.

This is what I am afraid of!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a piece of advice from one reefkeeper to another: Keep your dirty mitts out of the blasted aquarium!

Yeah, clowns bite. They're not what worry me, though. I've got a rabbitfish, a tang, and a fang toothed blenny. All of which are capable of far more damage than the darned clownfish. It's kind of like my daughter's Shih-tzu. Yeah, she nips when she gets excited. But really, how much damage can she do? If it were my 150lb Great Pyrenees that was nippy, well, I might be worried :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a piece of advice from one reefkeeper to another: Keep your dirty mitts out of the blasted aquarium!

Yeah, clowns bite. They're not what worry me, though. I've got a rabbitfish, a tang, and a fang toothed blenny. All of which are capable of far more damage than the darned clownfish. It's kind of like my daughter's Shih-tzu. Yeah, she nips when she gets excited. But really, how much damage can she do? If it were my 150lb Great Pyrenees that was nippy, well, I might be worried :)

HAHA! It scares me more than anything at this point. LOL!

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's already leaped totally out of the water trying to get my arm!

This is what I am afraid of!

Seriously... my sister in law calls me shark bait because of them.... may need a new screen name!

I agree could be worse. But they hang where I am usually in the tank. Mine are snow flakes as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as mine paired up, the female became very aggressive as soon as the hand goes in the tank. I get bit generally every time. Learned to live with it. They're just defending their home and where they lay their eggs :)

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had clownfish that bit me on an older tank. One day I got fed up and tore out all the rock and caught them and put them in time out in the sump for a week. I never got bit again? I was younger and dumber lol but it seems to have worked. I don't think I'd do that again though

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank top as in shirt or as in the top of the fish tank? I'm sorry, I just got a comical vision of a person jumping around with a clownfish down someone's shirt and biting eveything in reach.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as mine paired up, the female became very aggressive as soon as the hand goes in the tank. I get bit generally every time. Learned to live with it. They're just defending their home and where they lay their eggs :)

I was thinking of this. If you split them up would the female become less agressive? Seems they get more agressive when they pair off. Except those gold striped maroons like @Tom Davey mentioned. I have seen a single one just relentlessly attack everything.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of this. If you split them up would the female become less agressive? Seems they get more agressive when the pair off. Except those gold striped maroons like @Tom Davey mentioned. I have seen a single one just relentlessly attack everything.
That is a good question. However I don't know that i'd ever want to split them up. They seem happy together lol. I equate it to if I was at home and some random person came in, I'd probably bite them to ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My davinci is a major pain she always bites me when I'd do tank maintenance i k
tapped her a few times she hasn't been as aggressive just be careful not to wear rings my buddy's clown went to go bite him hit his ring so hard the poor thing died

What?!? That's crazy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back