Clownfish black growth - parasite or disease?

k.schoff

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
6
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam,
This growth showed up on Mai. She’s a 3 year old Picasso percula clown. It’s raised a few millimeters off her body, and dark black with a possible tinge of red, under the skin and above the muscle. I noticed it yesterday. No new fish or coral have been introduced since April (Today is 7/23/22). I feed a wide variety of foods including frozen, flakes, and freeze dried.

Have you encountered this before? Would you take any action, if you found yourself in care of Mai?
E7FF5360-159B-4F72-B9EC-65BBF7361426.jpeg
2983A3E7-C81A-4557-AF2B-61BA8CFB6529.jpeg
C04A42F6-7D57-4F42-9864-7F7330523209.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • trim.F97ADBCE-25CF-4731-8B28-775E0EDD58AB.MOV
    6.1 MB
Hey fam,
This growth showed up on Mai. She’s a 3 year old Picasso percula clown. It’s raised a few millimeters off her body, and dark black with a possible tinge of red, under the skin and above the muscle. I noticed it yesterday. No new fish or coral have been introduced since April (Today is 7/23/22). I feed a wide variety of foods including frozen, flakes, and freeze dried.

Have you encountered this before? Would you take any action, if you found yourself in care of Mai?
E7FF5360-159B-4F72-B9EC-65BBF7361426.jpeg
2983A3E7-C81A-4557-AF2B-61BA8CFB6529.jpeg
C04A42F6-7D57-4F42-9864-7F7330523209.jpeg
This is an abcess and likely from injury and even internal.
Best recourse is to treat in quarantine with Maracyn 2 or seachem Kanaplex and adding seachem metroplex to the foods with focus as a binder to adhere to foods for total treatment
 
Hey fam,
This growth showed up on Mai. She’s a 3 year old Picasso percula clown. It’s raised a few millimeters off her body, and dark black with a possible tinge of red, under the skin and above the muscle. I noticed it yesterday. No new fish or coral have been introduced since April (Today is 7/23/22). I feed a wide variety of foods including frozen, flakes, and freeze dried.

Have you encountered this before? Would you take any action, if you found yourself in care of Mai?
E7FF5360-159B-4F72-B9EC-65BBF7361426.jpeg
2983A3E7-C81A-4557-AF2B-61BA8CFB6529.jpeg
C04A42F6-7D57-4F42-9864-7F7330523209.jpeg
How did this end up? I have something similar going on.
 
How did this end up? I have something similar going on.
It was almost certainly an abcess thank you @vetteguy53081 !

I definitely subscribe to the “hands off, give it time” approach, and I was leaving town immediately. So I just left Mai in the display with no treatment, until I returned 3 or 4 days later. When I got back, her body was as smooth and strong as before I noticed the abcess: No scar anywhere.

My display has three rbta s (chompers, chompers Jr, and chompers Jr Jr) and Mai hosts them aggressively. I also have a pacific cleaner shrimp (el Capitanya). Between those tank inhabitants I think they cleaned Mai right up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new