Clownfish breathing fast

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the past week my clowns has been breathing fast, they are eating fine but I don't know what can be causing this. I checked my parameters which are good and did a 20% water change yesterday. Any insight would be great.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned because they are opening and closing their mouths a lot?

From this view I am not seeing their gills so it’s hard to confirm whether they are breathing fast. A side view would be best.

Otherwise it seems like normal clownfish behavior.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned because they are opening and closing their mouths a lot?

From this view I am not seeing their gills so it’s hard to confirm whether they are breathing fast. A side view would be best.

Otherwise it seems like normal clownfish behavior.
Yes, I thought I've read if they are opening and closing their mouth fast you should be concerned. I will double check the gills when I get home.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not read anything regarding the mouth movement. But I’m not an expert either, so I may have missed that info.

I've noticed rapid breathing in a few fish that were panicking during a water change or something. And I’ve never noticed the mouth moving any faster.

It’s always the gills, their sides will expand and contract insanely fast. I wish I could think of a good example of something inflating and deflating that quickly, but it is quite obvious.

I’ll look into mouth movement as a symptom of something and get back to you, because it does seem strange that both are doing the same thing.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I came across this thread with a similar amount of mouth movement being the primary concern. Though this one seems to have been causing its own problems by sucking on a torch coral. (It was fine a few days later)

Most were recommendations for checking ammonia levels in the system. But honestly this looks like a clown that wants a host in their video. But if you watch, notice the mouth going pretty quickly, but the sides not really moving.

I’d be far more concerned about the gills pumping like crazy than the mouths. As clownfish are really weird creatures. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see mine giving me the business while they swim about.

Sharkbait had some good questions for ya though haha

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these new fish? Have they been quarantined? Any new additions to the tank?
Unfortunately, I do not have a quarantine setup this is something I'm looking into for the future, my LFS quarantines for a week when they get their stock in. I've only had these two clowns for about 2 months now.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a skimmer in the tank? Water surface looks flat and no movement in the tank. If no skimmer, then maybe point a powerhead at the surface to help oxygenate the water.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions or just the clowns?
Most disease issues would pop up sooner than 2 months if these are the only fish.
A week wouldn’t catch anything, even if medicating.
Check surface agitation as well, as suggested.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a skimmer in the tank? Water surface looks flat and no movement in the tank. If no skimmer, then maybe point a powerhead at the surface to help oxygenate the water.
I have one nozzle pointing at the surface and one kinda half way pointing at the surface. I will adjust when I feed tonight. I have two dual nozzle returns, do you think it would be worth to swap from the singles?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't know about that, whichever provides most surface disturbance. I can't see much in your video, so I'm just putting forth an idea for you to investigate. If you feel your fish having trouble breathing, it might be worth to try to agitate the surface as much as possible.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back