Clownfish breeding questions

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish started spawning and I'm hoping some clownfish breeders can answer a few questions for me.

1. Is it ok to attach a 10 gallon tank to my display sump, for the purpose of housing the breeding pair? I understand that feeding a breeding pair risks fouling the water, but I already feed them pretty heavy and my nitrate stays at 5 or below, with phosphate hovering around .03. My skimmer is rated for 90 gallons and running about 50 gallons total water volune. The breeding tank would be bare bottom with uneaten food being siphoned out.

2. If adding a 10 gallon breeder tank to my system doesnt cause any nutrient issues, would I use only display tank water for the larval and growout tank?

3. Can i use display tank water when performing water changes on the larval and growout tank (provided theres no elevated nitrates).

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your input!

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a single reply. This is why reefers are switching over to ask brs and other sites.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only there were a sub forum on R2R for breeding. Oh wait, there is.

Ask in the right place and you might get answers.

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the knowledge! I didnt realize that. I dont really know my way around the site. I appreciate your assistance and I will pull my foot out of my mouth now lol.

Andrescol87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I strongly advice you to put a cured flower pot as substrate for eggs, once hatching night arrives, just pull out the flower pot to another aquarium (preferably cycled). It's what I do.

Have your algae paste or live phytoplankton up and running and a couple millions of rotifers and you are ready to go.

Hope it helps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back