Clownfish/bulldozer - is this the new normal?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a fairly new 120g, and this is the first tank where my clownfish have had sand. When I inherited them and their previous tank, the substrate was gravel. Now, they *love* the sand, but one in particular keeps kicking it around, covering corals and clouding the water. Should I expect this to be the new routine, or does the novelty wear off at some point?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, thats what they do. Mine are still doing it after a year and half later. Try putting a frag in their spot lol

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, thats what they do. Mine are still doing it after a year and half later. Try putting a frag in their spot lol
Yeah, kind of kicking myself. Read that they preferred sand.. didn't envision this. At this point, I'm moving frags to accommodate the dust cloud. And redistributing sand. I'm sure the behavior will be endearing once we've found a distribution that makes everyone... happier?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a clown host all sorts of random objects in my tank over the past 10 years and never has she bothered with sand. That's a new one. I think at some point it will end... Might help to move some things around to try and break up that spot. Then they will look for something else to hang out around.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - my maroon clown likes to move all of the sand down to the bare bottom about 20" around his host. He will also bulldose any rock (even up to softball size) out of his space. I put a conch shell about the size of my hand and he actually picked it up and moved it out of his space. lol
He's got a ton of personality - just not a good fit for my tank. As soon as I can catch him he's going back to the store.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clown has dug holes in every corner of the tank, but the big problem spot is smack in the middle, between the two primary rock structures. It's like she's digging a trench. The BTA was there, but this clown hosted it a bit vigorously and it went all tumbleweed. It's in a nearby corner now. Maybe all this redecorating is preparation for its triumphant return?

PXL_20211208_205501246.jpg

Idk. I guess for now, I'll just put it down as an interesting plot twist on my reef tv show.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back