Clownfish courting/nesting?

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just noticing some different behavior with my new clowns. I have a video uploaded to YouTube since I can’t seem to upload any on this site.

notice the fluttering of fins and touching each other. The larger one (I’m assuming female) has been fluttering her body against the sand in a low flow area they usually don’t hang out in.
Let me know your thoughts.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the tank? They seem to be acting normal to me. The only abnormal thing about a clown fish is when they are acting in ways you'd expect a fish to act. They're super cute! They may be trying to host the corner of the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What I saee id the white snowflake being territorial , otherwise typical clown behavior

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the clowns? If their young theres no way theyre mating. If theyre about 1.5-2 years or more there is a chance.

That was my thought too. They both seem small and close to the same size. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on the pecking order though.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought too. They both seem small and close to the same size. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on the pecking order though.
Yeah if theyre new thats probably what theyre doing. Thats why you want to buy one clown bigger than the other. SO theres less fighitng because the small one will realize that its smaller and weaker and will become male.

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea hard to tell but the male is much much smaller. Maybe about 2/3 the size. I suppose I could have gotten smaller but they were already in a tank together so thought why not give it a shot. I never see them pecking each other or showing any signs of aggression. They stick close together all the time and there’s never any issues. This video didn’t catch the snowflake fluttering on the bottom like she /he was. Also near the end of the video you can see the larger one fluttering her right fin as it passes the other one. To soon to know as they have only been in the tank for about 50 hours. Eating like pigs and no fighting at all. Wish me luck. I may place a small clay piece in that area to see if I can move the spawn if it happens. Watching closely for now. Age unknown.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these clowns sleep on the other side of the tank in a sand pit they made. They swim in unison in the dark. Idk if pecking order is the answer.
My clowns also did that when i first added them. Theyre in a new tank, and the only thing they have thats familiar is a fish that looks like them. How long have they been in your tank? I think theyre still sorting out the pecking order, it can take a while, and even when its done the male will sometimes twitch its body or fins or smth like that to show that hes still obeying the female. But if yours are new to the tank theyre still figuring things out. Its complicated :p

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns also did that when i first added them. Theyre in a new tank, and the only thing they have thats familiar is a fish that looks like them. How long have they been in your tank? I think theyre still sorting out the pecking order, it can take a while, and even when its done the male will sometimes twitch its body or fins or smth like that to show that hes still obeying the female. But if yours are new to the tank theyre still figuring things out. Its complicated :p
I’m sure it’s normal stuff I’m just excited to have some healthy clowns swimming around the house hahahah. :D

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to this. Aggression in the tank. Surrendering the larger aggressor tomorrow. So much for that courting dance! Hahaha. Aggressor in the refugium getting fat on shrimps.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nesting is way diff. They won't on the sand ime. They will clean the crap out of rocks or where they plan to lay. Algae coral debris lol. They just look norm.

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger ones dorsal fin looks flat and she looked like she was flashing. Look very closely for white spot. Did you QT?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back