Clownfish Diagnosis - Red inflamed spot on fin

Jess89264

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3269.PNG
Rescued this little guy from LFS, he was beat up badly and owner did not seem concerned ('JUST GLAD TO HAVE FISH DURING THE PANDEMIC!" - quote) ! - Slight overbite to assuming from inbreeding.
I have him in my QT / Hospital Tank on Myxazin for his fins. I noticed this red spot on him - any ideas? His fins are less clamped than originally and he is eating well.
Tank Details: QT Tank 19G - Bare bottom, Sumped. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 0.2, pH - 8.2, KH - 10, Ca Mg etc all stable too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I have erythromycin should it take a bad turn but I would like to leave this to last option.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on you for the rescue of a fish in distress. Nice job :)
The Myxazin should do the work on the bacterial infection. Boosting it's immune system is important too. Consider adding Beta Glucan to the food mix. It can help a lot. Link below on BG info.
Erythromycin works really well on eye infections of the gram positive type. Most saltwater fish infections are gram negative.
The only way to know for sure would what type you are exactly dealing with would be to do a scrape, and then a gram stain test.

OP
OP
Jess89264

Jess89264

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I will order some Beta Glucan. I did consider doing a scrape and staining under the microscope but I don't want to add any undue stress on the poor thing. Hopeful as he is spritely and eager for (small size) food he should make it! Interesting about Erythromycin and gram-negative bacteria, I have previously used it for freshwater fish with success, but getting his immune system boosted is the best treatment anyway.
Thanks again!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I will order some Beta Glucan. I did consider doing a scrape and staining under the microscope but I don't want to add any undue stress on the poor thing. Hopeful as he is spritely and eager for (small size) food he should make it! Interesting about Erythromycin and gram-negative bacteria, I have previously used it for freshwater fish with success, but getting his immune system boosted is the best treatment anyway.
Thanks again!
Yes, you are right on about using Erythromycin on freshwater fish. Many of the infections in FW are gram positive.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%

Back