Clownfish diagnosis

Mroyce92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo, I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with my 6 y/o clown. I just started a new tank and moved her into it about a week and a half ago with a smaller clown that she paired with after a few days. I also have a BTA in the tank that they host. The new tank finished cycling about 2 weeks ago and all of the parameters are great. I noticed that when she first started to go into the anemone she got what looked to me like a scratch on her side. The spot has since turned into this raised white spot. She is not eating and mostly staying close to the bottom of the tank. She also looks like she’s losing a little color. My guess is that she scratched herself on the rock and it’s maybe infected. Hoping to get some clarity through someone with more experience with fish illness. IMG_0609.jpeg IMG_0608.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0610.mov
    14.6 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo, I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with my 6 y/o clown. I just started a new tank and moved her into it about a week and a half ago with a smaller clown that she paired with after a few days. I also have a BTA in the tank that they host. The new tank finished cycling about 2 weeks ago and all of the parameters are great. I noticed that when she first started to go into the anemone she got what looked to me like a scratch on her side. The spot has since turned into this raised white spot. She is not eating and mostly staying close to the bottom of the tank. She also looks like she’s losing a little color. My guess is that she scratched herself on the rock and it’s maybe infected. Hoping to get some clarity through someone with more experience with fish illness. IMG_0609.jpeg IMG_0608.jpeg

The other clown is symptom free?

This clown has some sort of systemic infection - the small lesion seems to be minor, but the faded coloration, not eating, shimmy swimming and rapid breathing all point to an infection. If the other clown is fine, and remains that way, one possible diagnosis is mycobacterium. This is fish tuberculosis. The bacteria that causes it is found in every aquarium. Sometimes, fish become stressed and weakened and this bacteria takes hold. It is especially common in older fish. Unfortunately it is not treatable.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Mroyce92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other clown is symptom free?

This clown has some sort of systemic infection - the small lesion seems to be minor, but the faded coloration, not eating, shimmy swimming and rapid breathing all point to an infection. If the other clown is fine, and remains that way, one possible diagnosis is mycobacterium. This is fish tuberculosis. The bacteria that causes it is found in every aquarium. Sometimes, fish become stressed and weakened and this bacteria takes hold. It is especially common in older fish. Unfortunately it is not treatable.

Jay
Thanks so much for the info, Jay. This sounds about right. The other fish is totally fine. The sick fish is now swimming in the center of the tank rather than the bottom which makes it seem like she’s doing a little better but idk. Do fish ever bounce back from this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the info, Jay. This sounds about right. The other fish is totally fine. The sick fish is now swimming in the center of the tank rather than the bottom which makes it seem like she’s doing a little better but idk. Do fish ever bounce back from this?

I wouldn't say they never bounce back without treatment, but it would be really rare.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back