OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you talk to us about the source of your water, and how you make your salt mix?

Sorry at this point I am just trying to ask questions that may give us some hint.
I purchased it from the pet store premixed. And ask away. I’m so new I don’t know what to really look for.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if any hitchhikers from the live rock could be the culprit. It’s always strange when things die in such a short period of time, but I also feel like if it was some predator from the liverock it wouldn’t have left a body, or much of one anyways...

Did you inspect the fish when you pulled it from the tank? Did you notice any damage/marks to the body and/or fins?

OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if any hitchhikers from the live rock could be the culprit. It’s always strange when things die in such a short period of time, but I also feel like if it was some predator from the liverock it wouldn’t have left a body, or much of one anyways...

Did you inspect the fish when you pulled it from the tank? Did you notice any damage/marks to the body and/or fins?
I did. It looked whole. A little discolored though almost see through in the white area.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks sorry for your loss. I’m still learning the hard way seems like lately anyway. Didn’t see it mentioned so I’ll mention it....How long did you and by what method was acclimation? I’m no pro in the hobby by any means but know if any big difference in ph and or salinity if not properly acclimated will stress a new fish big time.

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 20ppm won't kill your fish. Unless it was exposed for a long period of time. Could it be stray voltage from your heater?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid on the tank?

I'm thinking maybe lack of oxygen? If no surface movement, you don't have a skimmer either, if you also have a lid on the tank it could have been lack of oxygen.

OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid on the tank?

I'm thinking maybe lack of oxygen? If no surface movement, you don't have a skimmer either, if you also have a lid on the tank it could have been lack of oxygen.
I do. I have a HOB filter and two mp40s creating surface movement. Should I remove the lid?

OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks sorry for your loss. I’m still learning the hard way seems like lately anyway. Didn’t see it mentioned so I’ll mention it....How long did you and by what method was acclimation? I’m no pro in the hobby by any means but know if any big difference in ph and or salinity if not properly acclimated will stress a new fish big time.
Thanks. I placed the bag with the fish inside my tank for a little over an hour and then I introduced a little bit of water over time until the waters were merged.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I have a HOB filter and two mp40s creating surface movement. Should I remove the lid?
If it doesn't have a mesh top I would remove it and get one with a mesh top, unless you have a good reason for the lid you have, you will have to top up with rodi water much more regularly and buy an ato, but with no skimmer getting air into the tank and a sealed top? I think lack oxygen was probably a big factor in this.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish get treated with copper all the time, the amounts would have to be high for that to be the issue.

I agree but with nothing else in the tank it's hard to tell if it could be a toxin. I am dobutful of this tho.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back