Clownfish Do Jump - Get That Lid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asserted
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Asserted

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awareness: Everything I read online saying Clownfish rarely jump made me feel a false sense of security. Do not believe any of it. I woke up this morning with a dried up clownfish wondering when it happened and now extremely mad at myself for not building the tank a lid. If you love your fish, please protect them. It was a 2” jump. I learned my lesson and I will never run a tank lidless ever again.
 
Awareness: Everything I read online saying Clownfish rarely jump made me feel a false sense of security. Do not believe any of it. I woke up this morning with a dried up clownfish wondering when it happened and now extremely mad at myself for not building the tank a lid. If you love your fish, please protect them. It was a 2” jump. I learned my lesson and I will never run a tank lidless ever again.
your right they absolutely can and I've observed (unfortunately from personal experience) that the smaller the clown the higher probability of a jump
 
IMO a lid or screen top should be considered a required piece of equipment for any reef tank if fish and even inverts are present.
 
Awareness: Everything I read online saying Clownfish rarely jump made me feel a false sense of security. Do not believe any of it. I woke up this morning with a dried up clownfish wondering when it happened and now extremely mad at myself for not building the tank a lid. If you love your fish, please protect them. It was a 2” jump. I learned my lesson and I will never run a tank lidless ever again.
Anything can jump. My mandarin goby tries to jump when netting for the HTTM.

Ive had my clowns for 14 years now, only jumped once into an overflow.

Absolutely agree, get the lid.
 
Yep, just posted a couple of days ago. Took my lid off while feeding, walked out of the room, came back a few mins later and realized there was just one Clown in the tank. Looking around on the floor, there he was. So far it seems he's ok and I hope he is. But it was a big fall - probably 5 feet. 😩
 
Yep, just posted a couple of days ago. Took my lid off while feeding, walked out of the room, came back a few mins later and realized there was just one Clown in the tank. Looking around on the floor, there he was. So far it seems he's ok and I hope he is. But it was a big fall - probably 5 feet. 😩
It’s heartbreaking, I’m still crying.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new