Clownfish drew blood!

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jk no but seriously are clowns aggressive towards humans? I have two mocha storm clowns that have never lunged at me. But yesterday when I was cleaning my tank one of them literally tried to rip my finger off (overreacting lol ) I would like to add I have noticed for the past few days they do their little dance quite often. Could this be the reason why they are being hostile towards me? Mating etc

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1.5" mocha clown bites me too LOL. i can't tell if it's territorial or scared... or just thinks i have food on my hands. i have fed him with tweezers and also out of my fingers... so maybe it just thinks there's food coming out of my skin lol.

The bites don't hurt but if it keeps it up or if the bites start doing more damage, i may have to send it back to the shop.

Upvote 0

Anthony Page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jk no but seriously are clowns aggressive towards humans? I have two mocha storm clowns that have never lunged at me. But yesterday when I was cleaning my tank one of them literally tried to rip my finger off (overreacting lol ) I would like to add I have noticed for the past few days they do their little dance quite often. Could this be the reason why they are being hostile towards me? Mating etc
Found this out the hard way yesterday lol. Clowns have been in my tank for about a month now and the female scared the life out of me when i was shoulder deep messing with some rocks. Water everywhere from pulling my arm out. I was reading up more on it and apparently the females tend to get more aggressive, especially when they’ve laid eggs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DinoMagnet

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1.5" mocha clown bites me too LOL. i can't tell if it's territorial or scared... or just thinks i have food on my hands. i have fed him with tweezers and also out of my fingers... so maybe it just thinks there's food coming out of my skin lol.

The bites don't hurt but if it keeps it up or if the bites start doing more damage, i may have to send it back to the shop.
Yes mine are about the same size. Ive never fed out of my hand. It’s always been a coral feeder. It doesn’t hurt but just don’t want it turn into an evil fish and be the smallest bully of the tank lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DinoMagnet

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this out the hard way yesterday lol. Clowns have been in my tank for about a month now and the female scared the life out of me when i was shoulder deep messing with some rocks. Water everywhere from pulling my arm out. I was reading up more on it and apparently the females tend to get more aggressive, especially when they’ve laid eggs.
I believe it’s my female as well since it’s slightly larger than the other. I was shocked so I put my fingers back in and sure enough it started coming for them

Upvote 0

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine are about the same size. Ive never fed out of my hand. It’s always been a coral feeder. It doesn’t hurt but just don’t want it turn into an evil fish and be the smallest bully of the tank lol
LOL... i try to flick mine away if it bites me.. jsut to show it who's boss for still

Upvote 0

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... i try to flick mine away if it bites me.. jsut to show it who's boss for still
I don't do quite the same, but I also don't back down. My female ocellaris will fan her tail at me when I get to close to her rock. I just chase her with one of my fingers, all the while she keeps fanning her tail. I've never been bitten by mine though.

Upvote 0

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Black Ocellaris paired with a Percula Picasso, and the smaller Percula is very friendly but the bigger Ocellaris is like a bull shark towards my hands or tankmates getting too close to their hosting Duncan. I once tried to shoo ig away with my hand, that was a mistake! :D

Upvote 0

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomato clown became aggressive after about 3 yrs old he stays on one side of the tank and the other 3 clowns stay on the other side. He chases other fish away from his area very territorial He also killed one of my clowns.and yes he bit me a few times while cleaning the tank if i was on his side near his anemone .the only other fish that bits me is my file fish and he has some sharp teeth! But he thinks my fingers are food .

Attachments

• 20200328_200314.jpg
    20200328_200314.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190702_161712.jpg
    20190702_161712.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys deal with them biting your hands all the time? even though it doesn't really hurt, it's still annoying as hell... and i'm afraid when it gets a little bigger, it can actually do some damage.

I just hate when i'm moving my frags around, and it snaps at me, then my hand jumps and i smash the coral into a rock or glass lol. i'm veeeery close to tradiing it in lol.

Upvote 0

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fancy clowns are aggressive and get more territorial the bigger they get

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back