Clownfish dying

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

A few days ago I added chemipure elite to my 13.5 gallon fluval evo aquarium due to needing to switch out the old media bag but I also added purigen to my intank media rack as well.

Yesterday I switched out my old clownfish with some new ones that are about an inch a piece. I acclimated them properly and added them to the tank. Next morning they are dead.

Called my fish store and when I brought the dead ones back, they checked my tank parameters and everything checked out fine. Salinity was perfect as well. He gave me a new pair. 1 inch a piece... and they have been in the tank for about 4 hours. I noticed them breathing fast like the last pair. Could this be due to them chemipure elite and purigen together? I had my other clowns in there for like 3 months... nothing wrong. Tank is cycled and everything. I would hate to lose these ones so I got rid of the purigen and did a 2 gallon water change. Help would be awesome

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I got home and noticed my new pair dead. Darn it!! Can't figure out what is happening. I am thinking it is the addition of the purigen. Gotta figure this out

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never used purigen. I'm very sorry about your fish.:(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be shocked as I had some Wyoming white clowns in there for about 2 months and nothing was wrong. They ate good and every day. They were not as small as the ones I got today and the other day but they lived.

I haven't seen any white dots on my previous fish nor the ones I got yesterday that died and today that died. I thought maybe it was just the ones I bought yesterday but I was wrong. I don't have any algae on my sand bed but only a little when I leave my lights on too long and some hair algae that has gotten better. I do water changes every day. Only thing I changed up was putting the purigen in with the chemi pure elite. I don't understand at all. Only thing I see that is odd is that my water isn't as clear as it was once. Still clear but not crystal

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very likely the fish you are buying have velvet from the store. What happened to the Wyoming whites?

I feel terrible because I really liked them but my store cut me a deal on the extreme frost bite clowns and I brought them home. They were small though. Like an inch each. They are in a 210 gallon tank and they are still alive. It's gotta be my tank

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wyomings I got from a different store but as stated... I saw them yesterday and they are doing well.

I even fed the both pairs before bringing them home. I just noticed when both were in my tank... they would breath fast once in there for a bit and then kick the bucket.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank or from the clowns I picked up?

It was brought in on one of the clowns you picked up, but now has infected the entire aquarium. Parasites drop off fish and form cysts (eggs) on hard surfaces in your tank.

Are any fish left? You need to go fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks to eliminate velvet from your DT.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great :/ I only had those two clowns in there for a while. I was actually thinking about going fishless for around that time. Now, at this point... do I just do regular water changes like I have been doing every weekend? Maybe not so much now that I don't got fish in there but I do have a beautiful Kenya tree in there

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone wanted to see the tank. My one and only coral love my tank lol

IMG_7464.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, at this point... do I just do regular water changes like I have been doing every weekend? Maybe not so much now that I don't got fish in there but I do have a beautiful Kenya tree in there

Yes, continue regular water changes, maintenance, etc. during the fallow period. Also, throw in a tiny pinch of flake or pellets every few days to maintain bacteria levels.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am trying to tell myself. As long as it isn't affecting my awuarium I am okay. I'll just use a tooth brush and scrub

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chemipure elite and purigen are not the cause i would say parasite, velvet

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darryl,

I appreciate the input bud. I am just going to have to chill on fish for a month plus. I shouldn't have jumped so quickly as I was fine with my other two :( I'll talk to the owner tom as I am not too happy with this.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darryl,

I appreciate the input bud. I am just going to have to chill on fish for a month plus. I shouldn't have jumped so quickly as I was fine with my other two :( I'll talk to the owner tom as I am not too happy with this.
Very Good if you have any other questions just give a holler

Back