Clownfish Eating Coral.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ring the alarms!!

About two months ago I moved four Gonipora from Quarantine into my Display Tank. These Gonipora have been mad and closed since I put them in. The Red, Yellow and white Goni only extend a little bit but mostly stay inside their skeleton. This whole time I'm thinking it's because my Nitrates are high which they are (40 Ppm) by the way. However I just went from joy to watching pure evil. My Green Gonipora extended way further then normal Today and I thought things were turning around for them. Until I saw My Clownfish swoop in and bite a an entire Polyp off of the green Green!!! The clownfish then followed the floating Polyp literally eating it!! The coral immediately retracted all Polyps and went completely into its skeleton, to the point it looks dead if you didn't know any better. I immediately washed my hands and took the Goni out and put it back into Quarantine.

I searched every where but haven't seen anyone have a problems with Clownfish eating Coral. Has anyone had this problem? Should I just take out the clownfish now?

Any help is appreciated.

These are the Gonipora in Quarantine.
Great Barrier Reef Clear Water.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not eating it for the sake eating it. They are extremely territorial and will bite, push, tailwhip, and otherwise try to remove any new thing thats fixed in an area they deem to be their turf

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not eating it for the sake eating it. They are extremely territorial and will bite, push, tailwhip, and otherwise try to remove any new thing thats fixed in an area they deem to be their turf
What? I have never heard of this. If this is the case why anyone keep Clownfish? Not saying you're wrong, just saying this is new to me.

If this is the case then all my Clownfish are coming out and being donated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back