Clownfish Eye - Popped Out and Cloudy

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - Thanks in advance for the help. One of my clownfish's eye has been popped out and cloudy for the past 3 days. Otherwise he looks healthy, eats and swims around the tank. I have read that this could be an abrasion that can heal on its own to a more serious issue that I may need to treat.

I have included pictures of the problem eye, healthy eye for comparison, and a top view so you can see how popped out it is. This is my only tank so don't have a QT set up or accessible at the moment. Any advise / assistance would be greatly appreciated! I have also included my tank parameters / info for reference.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, been set up for 80 days. No problems thus far, dealing with brown algae on the sand
Stock: 2 clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 trochus snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 bumble bee snails, ~8 largely soft & LPS pieces
Aquarium water volume: 20 gallon cube (~17 gallons net)
Water: RODI with Red Sea Salt - last water change was 2 days ago, 2 gallon change
Filtration type: Filter floss, 2 chemi-pure blue nano packs, ceramic media
Lighting: AI Prime

Water quality
Temperature: 77 F
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
Phosphorus: 0ppm
DKH: 7.7
Calcium: 420ppm

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin baths. His tail also looks stubby to me.
I would agree, but at triple normal dose for three hours a day, with a heater and air, changing the solution daily.
Jay

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal and @Tamberav.

Any chance this goes away on its own? I'll have to go out and buy a hospital tank setup, and living in a small apartment with minimal room for it.

Also, I did a search for erythromycin but can't find anything on Amazon, Petco, BRS or MarineDepot. Any suggestions where to get what I need?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal and @Tamberav.

Any chance this goes away on its own? I'll have to go out and buy a hospital tank setup, and living in a small apartment with minimal room for it.

Also, I did a search for erythromycin but can't find anything on Amazon, Petco, BRS or MarineDepot. Any suggestions where to get what I need?
Look for Maracyn 1, that is erythromycin.
Can’t really say if it will go away on its own....
Jay

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for Maracyn 1, that is erythromycin.
Can’t really say if it will go away on its own....
Jay

Thank you Jay. You mentioned dosing for three hours a day. Do I take the fish out and medicate him in a container (with a heater & airstone) for the three hours and then put him back in the main tank right after each day (and assume repeat this until he is healhty)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. You mentioned dosing for three hours a day. Do I take the fish out and medicate him in a container (with a heater & airstone) for the three hours and then put him back in the main tank right after each day (and assume repeat this until he is healhty)?
Yes, just dose the erythromycin 3 times what the label says, to make up for the shorter treatment time. You may have some difficulty in breaking the pills properly, just estimate as best you can and err on the light side.
Jay

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just dose the erythromycin 3 times what the label says, to make up for the shorter treatment time. You may have some difficulty in breaking the pills properly, just estimate as best you can and err on the light side.
Jay
Will do. Grateful for your help. Last question is on the Maracyn. I know you mention Maracyn 1, but looks like Maracyn 2 is the only one that i'd be able to get by tomorrow. Otherwise looks like I need to get Maracyn 1 from BRS which will take a few days.

Would 2 work or do I need to stick with 1?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i did was kept my fish in a breeder box in the display so he was easy to catch for the baths.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back