Clownfish Fin Rot after Chemiclean

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was fine a day ago, but I did chemiclean and I think that has caused them to start fin rot.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5ppm

I added the correct amount of chemiclean it said too, waited 48 hours, then did 40 percent water change. Air stone was on the entire process. After the water change yesterday evening I took it out but noticed their fins didn't look healthy. These pictures were from this morning. As I went to post this one of them was swimming at the top and breathing quickly, so I'm assuming I still need the air stone. I put it back on now. I am confused however because I have two other fish that are perfectly fine.
Is there anything that I should be doing or that I am missing? There has been no changes to the way I maintain this tank for months, and the fish haven't had problems before.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedics should be through soon, I’m not the expert but appears to be more than fin rot, hopefully we’ll get some experts through shortly. If you can get better pics under white light and a video, you’ll get the best responses/ answers

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try to get a pic on white light? Makes it easier.
In the pic it looks like the fish has a white film which can indicate brook.
Otherwise, the torn fins almost always mean there is aggression from another clown.
My guess is that this is a separate issue and the chemiclean only happened to be added at the same time or just added extra stress to allow for disease or aggression.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got it ten gallon tank, fresh saltwater, and extra for water changes, hob filter, heater

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn the lights on white only and snatch a pic… that’s my guess as well that this is brook

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have blue leds and blue t5s, so those pictures are without the leds.

I doubt it was chemiclean that caused the issue. I'll let the experts on fish disease give a diagnosis, because in my experience getting the correct diagnosis is critical.

In that spirit, if I were you I'd find a way to take a picture in white light, because they are really going to need to see a clear picture with details to give you the best odds.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its coincidental but looks very much like aggression than fin rot. Fin rot is generally raggy looking and stemmed from bacteria.
My suspect would be another clown in the tank. If none , please list other occupants. One trick to often identify aggressors is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 45 mins, feed tank lightly and walk away. (YOU MUST WALK AWAY AS FISH KNOW YOURE THERE)
Most bullies will get aggressive during feeding trying to steal all the food. Come back and review video and you should have your answer.
the cure and healing is based on getting rid of OR isolating the aggressor

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its coincidental but looks very much like aggression than fin rot. Fin rot is generally raggy looking and stemmed from bacteria.
My suspect would be another clown in the tank. If none , please list other occupants. One trick to often identify aggressors is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 45 mins, feed tank lightly and walk away. (YOU MUST WALK AWAY AS FISH KNOW YOURE THERE)
Most bullies will get aggressive during feeding trying to steal all the food. Come back and review video and you should have your answer.
The other tank mates besides the pair of clownfish is a hector's goby, and small yellow watchman goby. They have all been together for about two plus months minimum, and never had any signs of aggression. But the picture may not show it, but the fins do appear to be raggy, and stringy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The other tank mates besides the pair of clownfish is a hector's goby, and small yellow watchman goby. They have all been together for about two plus months minimum, and never had any signs of aggression. But the picture may not show it, but the fins do appear to be raggy, and stringy.
Looking back at your pics which are best under white lighting as its truly hard to see in blue lighting, I believe I see raw flesh/body damage which supports aggression. Try the video tip given. I suspect other clown especially if larger and the likely culprit

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at your pics which are best under white lighting as its truly hard to see in blue lighting, I believe I see raw flesh/body damage which supports aggression. Try the video tip given. I suspect other clown especially if larger and the likely culprit
I fed them earlier today and they didn't eat much, and so I tried again and left it recording and they didn't eat or mess with each other. I turned off all my lights and used a flashlight to try and take pictures, but its very hard to get a clear one. I took a video instead and maybe you can get better conclusions from that. I am starting to agree that it may be aggression, but why now? Nothing has changed for months. The larger clownfish has much less damage, which also supports aggression.

6.jpg

This is the smaller of the two.

They were swimming around all over the tank but not together like they normally are. They just came to the top because I was near, I don't think they are having trouble breathing. Please let me know what you think!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I fed them earlier today and they didn't eat much, and so I tried again and left it recording and they didn't eat or mess with each other. I turned off all my lights and used a flashlight to try and take pictures, but its very hard to get a clear one. I took a video instead and maybe you can get better conclusions from that. I am starting to agree that it may be aggression, but why now? Nothing has changed for months. The larger clownfish has much less damage, which also supports aggression.

6.jpg

They were swimming around all over the tank but not together like they normally are. They just came to the top because I was near, I don't think they are having trouble breathing. Please let me know what you think!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

6.jpg

Thanks for updated pic/video. . Ouch
This will require treatment in a separate setting and sooner the better. Seachem neoplex OR maracyn 2 will work well for this. Maintain water quality and increase aeration via air stone during treatment.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for updated pic/video. . Ouch
This will require treatment in a separate setting and sooner the better. Seachem neoplex OR maracyn 2 will work well for this. Maintain water quality and increase aeration via air stone during treatment.
If its aggresssion should they be kept apart? Or do you think its something else. The larger clownfish has now had extreme trouble breathing, so I have it in a separate tank with its own air stone, as the smaller one seems fine now. But the larger one is losing strength while swimming, and I can't get any medicine besides what they have at petco within the hour. Not sure what I can do. I also contacted a local reefer and he doesn't have any medicine. I don't think the large one will make it longer then an hour.

Back