Clownfish fin rot with white mucous - possibly brook?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I noticed our mochavinci clowns right fin is very frayed with some white mucous. Could this be brook? Clown has been in the tank 6 months or so. No recent additions are showing any similar symptoms.

Sorry for the poor photo, he wont ever sit still.

20200627_191132.jpg

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture honestly. Try a video. Do you have two clowns or just one? Maybe some aggression they're going through.

How is it's breathing? Usually, when you see the excessive slime with brook it should have already affected the lungs thus the fish should be breathing faster.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture honestly. Try a video. Do you have two clowns or just one? Maybe some aggression they're going through.

How is it's breathing? Usually, when you see the excessive slime with brook it should have already affected the lungs thus the fish should be breathing faster.

Video attached. Doesn't seem to be breathing faster than our other clown.

Our other clown is MEAN. She is constantly harassing him.

Attachments

• 20200627_192422.mp4
    15.3 MB

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may need some time away from the other clown in order to heal up properly. I recommend a QT with some meds or moving him to the sump to heal?

Make sure you salinity is on point. I had a similar issue awhile back with the white mucous around the fin and for my clown it was mostly around the face and chest area. I was sure it was brook at first but it was actually due to the fluctuation in salinity. It took about 2-3 weeks to slowly correct the salinity and what do you know the clown was back to normal.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may need some time away from the other clown in order to heal up properly. I recommend a QT with some meds or moving him to the sump to heal?

Make sure you salinity is on point. I had a similar issue awhile back with the white mucous around the fin and for my clown it was mostly around the face and chest area. I was sure it was brook at first but it was actually due to the fluctuation in salinity. It took about 2-3 weeks to slowly correct the salinity and what do you know the clown was back to normal.

Salinity should be good. I discovered the refractometer was off by about 4 or 5 points a number of weeks ago. Using 35ppt solution to calibrate weekly, tank would appear to be at 35ppt...

I'll have to see about catching him. He's definitely the slower and less wary of the clownfish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "recent additions" you mentioned could have been carriers of the parasites. Any fish can have Brook, not just Clownfish. Here's a thread with pictures so you can compare and treatments, etc.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back