Clownfish fish eating the eggs

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my Clownfish breed and had eggs :) They laid before but didn't work out too well. I have my 10 gallon ready and the pot to be removed. Reason is because I've have noticed even from the last time they breed, one or both of them ate the eggs. My question is when is the earliest I can remove the pot to the fry tank?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping to help get you an answer. It's my understanding though they can/should be removed the night of when they are supposed to hatch. I also think it's important not to allow air exposure to the fry.
I did quite a bit of research on this topic as I have a pair that lay about every third week or so. I determined it was too much trouble for me...so now the fish get a treat every few weeks!

Pura Vida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times the first few spawning don't go well and the clowns eat the eggs because they know they aren't viable. There are those that just eat them but that is less common than in the first few spawnings.

Now to answer your question. I have pulled pots as early as the second day. I've heard of it being done when the lights go out on day 1. It takes water changes and you must keep the eggs swaying with a air stone.

Pura Vida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will also use their faces to kinda smash the eggs onto the pot to keep them stuck so they aren't always eating them

OP
OP
Cal

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know I can remove them earlier. this is actually their 3rd time but it doesn't matter now. I've got Rotifers in the mail and they're all dead. hopefully this ebay user will refund or send me a new bag. either way it dooms day for the frys cause it won't make it on time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back