Clownfish flashing due to parasites...or preparing for eggs?

SonRK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4 fish in my tank: 2 Osc Clownfish, 1 Tailspot Blenny, 1 6 Line Wrasse. No other fish are showing any signs of parasites...yet

I noticed today my male has been running into the rock/spazzing, but only seems to do it when the female is next to him. Sometimes she responds and spazzes out as well.

Could this be the first few signs of Ich? I have two 10G tanks that were abandoned pico projects, that I could use to do TTM the fish. During the TTM, I have time to pick up a 15 gallon tank to house the 4 fish while I let the display tank fallow.

Let me know what you think. Should I start prepping my 10G tanks?

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal clownfish behavior. It looks like they could be preparing to lay eggs.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me also. If there are eggs they will be pinkish at first. So exciting to watch.

Shelley

OP
OP
SonRK

SonRK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is absolutely crazy that I've had these two for 2-3 years and it's the first time I noticed this behavior. I know the one submits to the dominant one, and one has always been smaller than the other (thus I knew it was the male), but never seen the dance in action.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how old they are before they lay eggs. Maybe just now mature? Egg laying involves the female looking as if she is pressing her belly against a surface and wiggling. Then the male doing the same thing basically. Repeat. Mine will do this usually starting in the evening and going for several hours.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back