Clownfish freaked out now gasping.

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we’ve had our tank set up almost a year. Aprox 2-3 months ago we got two gladiator clowns. They have been great.

today my fiancé did a water change. During the change everything was fine. Maybe 5 minutes after the change one of the clowns started totally freaking out. She was swimming around the tank like crazy then just started floating upside down. Now she’s hanging out in the back corner at the top of the tank gasping for air. All other fish and inverts in the tank appear fine. Anyone have any idea what could have happened or what might be going on? She’s never responded to a water change like this in the past. Parameters are normal.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal means nothing as far as parameters go.

I would confirm check my salinity with a newly calibrated refractometer, temperature and ammonia immediately.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal means nothing as far as parameters go.

I would confirm check my salinity with a newly calibrated refractometer, temperature and ammonia immediately.
Our alert badge shows safe. Salinity read 1.025 on refractometer and 1.028 on hydrometer. She’s now swimming almost like normal but still breathing rapidly.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a water change?
it’s a 32 gallon tank. Water change was approximately 5 gallons. Other fish include a second gladiator clown, a fire fish goby, and a diamond watchman goby. They are all acting
Normal.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also have a handful of inverts, condi anemone, pincushion urchin, fire shrimp, anemone crab, hermit crab, emerald crab, chocolate chip star fish, and a turbo snail. They all appear to be acting normal and content as well.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the salt dissolved well. Was the temp of the water change water the same?

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the salt dissolved well. Was the temp of the water change water the same?
Temp was the same, salt appeared to be totally dissolved. Our initial concern was some salt that has built up on the lid may have fallen in and she took a bite. I called out LFS and they said that would not likely cause the reaction we are seeing. She said something may have just freaked her out or stressed her out.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was an issue with the parameters wouldn’t the other fish be wigging out as well? Another theory is she may have been stung by the pincushion? I don’t know how likely that is though.

Back