Clownfish Getting Sick

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish I picked up about 3 weeks ago. They have been in a QT tank for that period and both had been doing well until the last three days. Over the last three days, the male's health has seemed to decline.

Three days ago, the male started to hide, stopped eating much if at all (he never ate as much as the female), and today was laying down on the floor of the aquarium when I came in. He seemed to struggle for a moment righting himself, but he is now hanging around the floor head down and tail up. He opens and closes his mouth almost constantly, but both the clowns have been doing this. I have noticed that his face, around the mouth is quite pale. It looks like the orange has drained out. His mouth has looked like this since I got him, and I never really thought anything of it until now.

The female is just as adventurous as always, out swimming around, and patrolling.

I have been observing the fish and keeping up with water changes (2x weekly 30%). I haven't seen anything prior to this that was troubling.

My parameters are on target, but yesterday I noticed my nitrates had made their way up to 10 and did a 30% water change.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 (5ish now)

When I discovered the fish laying down today I got out my 10 gallon aquarium, a sponge filter, and a heater and it is setup and getting up to 79 degrees now. I was planning on moving the sick fish there and observing/treating him there.

Any ideas what this might be, or what I should treat with? I have erythromycin and PaziPro on hand, and I can swing by and pick up anything else I might need tomorrow.

I will try and post a pic of the fish once it has been moved.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the best photos I was able to get right after moving him.

cEYrGwd.jpg
MnW70Zj.jpg
OxDR6Nh.jpg
vi8axkZ.jpg
50vGH0W.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder... Are the male's fins clamped against the body? does it look like his skin is sloughing off or maybe like there is a film over him? sometimes it's difficult to see it at first.

I can see your picture, but some of this stuff is easier for you to see yourself and report back. Can you do a freshwater dip on him?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do a freshwater dip on him?

^^ This, to check for flukes. See below in red.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow he doesn't look good.

His fins are doing the normal clown wiggle. His dorsal(?) might be considered clamped.
He is struggling to maintain a head down posture in the corner of the tank.
His skin doesn't appear to have a film, but I am seeing some white ich looking dots on him now that weren't there yesterday. You can see them in the pictures above. It almost seems like more and more jump out at me each time I look.
The clear tips of his fins seem to have white (skin looking) stuff hanging off them.

I just noticed all this.

I can do a freshwater dip now. I need to read that sticky again real quick and I will get it done.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His skin doesn't appear to have a film, but I am seeing some white ich looking dots on him now that weren't there yesterday. You can see them in the pictures above. It almost seems like more and more jump out at me each time I look.
The clear tips of his fins seem to have white (skin looking) stuff hanging off them.

Could be ich, but the latter part about "stuff hanging off" sounds like brook. Read this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I am preparing the FW dip now. I will report back with findings.

Looking at the Brook thread, the stuff on the fins look similar, but the body of the fish isn't showing the signs just yet. I am thinking it is a safe bet it is brook though.

I will do the FW dip tonight and hit every fish store in the metroplex tomorrow looking for what I need for the baths. Hopefully the FW dip will buy me a little time.

If he has brook, should I assume the female also has it, or should I wait until she exhibits symptoms to treat her?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has brook, should I assume the female also has it, or should I wait until she exhibits symptoms to treat her?

Treat both ASAP. It's only a matter of time before she starts showing symptoms as well. A FW dip can buy you some time until you locate formalin, acriflavine, metro, etc.

Keep in mind the photos in that thread show clownfish with brook in advanced stages. What you are experiencing may be the early stages.

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thank you! I will FW dip them both tonight and then start medicated formalin dips tomorrow as soon as I get home. The male is having trouble staying upright and is now gasping. Never seen anything move this fast.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thank you! I will FW dip them both tonight and then start medicated formalin dips tomorrow as soon as I get home. The male is having trouble staying upright and is now gasping. Never seen anything move this fast.

He doesn't have long left, and may die in the FW dip. But at this point it's your only option.

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the FW dip is complete on the male. He laid on the bottom of the container almost the whole time.

He actually swam around in the return of the QT for a moment before going to settle back in on the floor. He doesn't seem quite as distressed, but I am not sure if he will make it until tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers.

I am cleaning the container I did the dip in, and I will do a dip on the female shortly.

Here is a picture of the male in the FW dip.

NKdp7h5.jpg

OP
OP
Pole04

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the male passed away in the last hour. He went downhill quick.

I am going to run to a few LFS and find formalin and treat the female. How many dips (a day apart) should I do to ensure she is safely out of the woods?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run to a few LFS and find formalin and treat the female. How many dips (a day apart) should I do to ensure she is safely out of the woods?

Do a 45 min bath (pull sooner if she looks to be in distress), and then transfer into a new sterile QT (very important). Sometimes one bath is enough, but you will have to watch her for at least another month to know for sure.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back