Clownfish has strange white markings and not eating.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely hang on to it. You may wish to run a copper QT on these fish after the formalin. And obviously it is a mainstay treatment for future QT's you may do, too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, so I have formalin and I’m going to do the 45 minute dip on the rest of the fish in the aquarium, then move them to a quarantine tank where I will dose the metro for 2 weeks. I’ll hold on to the copper and Hanna checker I bought in case I need it for the future.
Youre going the right route - Huge Thumbs up

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clown died this morning and I took him by my fish store and they confirmed brook infection. The thin that puzzled me is they told me to set my QT up and run copper as this is the only way to treat the fish in this scenario.

What are your opinions on this matter? I do have wrasse as well.
Just curious - did they look at a skin scrape under a microscope? That’s the only definitive way to diagnose Brook.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - did they look at a skin scrape under a microscope? That’s the only definitive way to diagnose Brook.
Jay
Definitely not. It’s a pretty famous store and I think the attendant just misspoke about the copper as a different employee pointed me to the humble reef link for brook. They both just gave it a look and agreed with the other posters here that it appeared to be brook.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely hang on to it. You may wish to run a copper QT on these fish after the formalin. And obviously it is a mainstay treatment for future QT's you may do, too.
Hey if you don’t mind I have one last question. I have a hang on the back filter for my QT. I need to run that filter less right? The stock one I believe has carbon in it.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if you don’t mind I have one last question. I have a hang on the back filter for my QT. I need to run that filter less right? The stock one I believe has carbon in it.
Never use carbon when medicating as it removes medication from the water. Certainly use whatever sponges/wool/rings etc that it came with. They will help to provide surface area for beneficial bacteria.

You will still need to monitor things closely though, like ammonia and pH. Perform lots of regular water changes but make sure you dose any new water with whatever medication you are treating with PRIOR to adding it to the QT tank. This will maintain therapeutic levels.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back