Clownfish help

sr96_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! New to salt water tanks and sadly just experienced my first lost so I have a few questions. I have had a Fluval Evo 13.5 setup for 2.5 months now. Put two clownfish in 1.5 months ago. I check my tank parameters weekly and they are all within the recommend ranges (I.e., ammonia 0, nitrite 0, etc.). The only one not at zero is nitrates, they are at 10 ppm which I read isn’t too above where you want it. So I noticed my smaller clownfish became more pale last week and then seemed to start having respiratory problems. Other than that I have not noticed any signs of disease in either clownfish even up to now. To be safe I ordered metroplex and kanaplex and have done two doses. So I’m not sure if the smaller clownfish truly died of disease or stress. The larger clownfish is certainly the female as she would chase him around the tank but for the most part I thought they were becoming a pair as they would “twitch.” Because of this I’m not sure if I should continue to do a few more doses of the medications just to be safe or stop to save them for possible future use. Again, my larger clownfish is beautiful and showing no signs of any infections. Also, since I now only have I’m curious as if I should get another one to allow my female to form another pair. If so, when should I introduce the new one? Assuming it depends on if I continue to dose medications. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

sr96_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here’s a pic of the smaller one... the dots are sand as he was lying in the sand when I took him out.

Attachments

• 247AB54E-FC3F-47E9-90EF-FCE3166E5B48.jpeg
    247AB54E-FC3F-47E9-90EF-FCE3166E5B48.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like she didn't like bachelor #1 and tormented him to death. When they twitch, it's from being bullied/stress. U can try another smaller clown and see if she like this one better. If it was me, I'd wait few weeks hoping the isolation will allow her to welcome new addition more peacefully. Clownfish are territorial and require min 1' separation when they dont get along, and a fluval evo size may have added to aggression. Also next time u can try an isolation box to see how the female reacts to new addition.

Upvote 0

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.
Welcome to R2R. Keep your head up
Lots of people on here to help you so don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible.
How about some pics and posting all your parameters?
Clowns can be super aggressive especially in a small space like that.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know much about medications in saltwater tanks but i think metro and kana need to be used with a food binder, not sure but i also dont add medications directly to display tank ever. No point in chasing any numbers in fish tanks (especially fowler) 10 nitrate is fine but I wouldnt let it get any higher

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they will both twitch, the male usually does most of the twitching though. Sometimes the female kills the male which is unfortunate but happens

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is the twitch is done to show submission. Cpuld be wrong but many people on here have told me “seizures are good in clownfish” lol
Yep, you are right, twitching is a sign of showing submission, which is generally indeed a good thing.

Just that sometimes the female thinks it is not enough and the female kills the male anyways. But that's less bullying and more just the typical clownfish mating ritual.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns should really be in 20gal and up for this reason. They can be very territorial and without enough space for others to hide it creates an issue

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The male twitch is communicating tool they use. Female is often an/the aggressor. A couple things I see that raises red flags:
The paleness and heavy breathing suggests brooklynella which is a typical clown disease. If you see this in the future, a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief.
The other is your zero readings which tells me you’re using API test kits and they are notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers hence the low price for a master kit.
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use api kits and have them test the water for you and see what results they come up with

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sr96_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like she didn't like bachelor #1 and tormented him to death. When they twitch, it's from being bullied/stress. U can try another smaller clown and see if she like this one better. If it was me, I'd wait few weeks hoping the isolation will allow her to welcome new addition more peacefully. Clownfish are territorial and require min 1' separation when they dont get along, and a fluval evo size may have added to aggression. Also next time u can try an isolation box to see how the female reacts to new addition.
Thanks for the reply. I assumed it was from stress. I’m surprised tho if they truly didn’t get along because they came from the original same tank and were the last two left and with the other one already being bigger I figured they already worked out the dominance hierarchy. Anyways since my tank is only clown and live rock I think I’ll wait to get another smaller one till I get coral as maybe if they each have their own “coral” aggression won’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sr96_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know much about medications in saltwater tanks but i think metro and kana need to be used with a food binder, not sure but i also dont add medications directly to display tank ever. No point in chasing any numbers in fish tanks (especially fowler) 10 nitrate is fine but I wouldnt let it get any higher
According to the directions it can be used either way! I did one dose in the tank and since was doing it with food.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I assumed it was from stress. I’m surprised tho if they truly didn’t get along because they came from the original same tank and were the last two left and with the other one already being bigger I figured they already worked out the dominance hierarchy. Anyways since my tank is only clown and live rock I think I’ll wait to get another smaller one till I get coral as maybe if they each have their own “coral” aggression won’t be a problem.
In a 13.5gal, aggression will always be a possibility no matter how many corals, anemones, hiding spots, etc. you might have as both clowns will have to come out to feed eventually and if the female want to, the female will try to chase down the male.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would research the medication more just in case. you learn to not trust every label in this hobby, according to some labels tap water conditioner makes your water perfectly safe for fish and corals when its a blatant lie

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back