Clownfish ich?

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear reefers,

Yesterday i was looking at 1 of my clowns and i sawe somenthing odd, there are really small white dots on his side. I cant rembember that he had the white spots from te beginning. i've been looking at his behavior but he acts normal and eats well. I dont know if it are white normal spots or that it may be ich. You can only see it when you come real close. The water parameters are all fine. I hope some one can give me advise on what to do.
DSC09704.JPG
DSC09702.JPG
DSC09707.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good on you for having such a sharp eye out for your little buddies.

Those spots could be a few things: Ich, velvet, Brook or lympho. Here's a thread with pictures of the most common fish parasites and diseases so you can watch for progression. Keep us in the loop.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot! I think it may be ich or velvet.shall i put the fish in a QT tank to treat it with HW odinex or shoult i wait with that? and would a FW dip be meaning full?

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update: unfortunately i saw my clownfish scratching against the glass and filter. I'm preparing a hospital tank now for both my clownfish. I hope the infected clown will survive it, i'll be updating his condition.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little update: unfortunately i saw my clownfish scratching against the glass and filter. I'm preparing a hospital tank now for both my clownfish. I hope the infected clown will survive it, i'll be updating his condition.
You're doing the right thing and clowns are really resilient fish....you catching what ever it is so soon and with the help here they should be ok.

Are they the only fish in the tank?

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank a lot!
Thankfully there are the only fish in the aquarium, i have also some snails and soft coral but correct me if i am wrong but the snails and coral should not be infected by ick.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the white dots are gone So the ick are going to lay eggs now. I hope that I can transfer them today to my hospital tank and dose is with HW-odinex is also got a copper test to monitor the copper.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an little update from the ich outbreak. My Clowns are now 37 days in QT, i have dosed the QT now twice because after the first time it dind't completly die off. The fish are doing well and dont act different. There were a few hiccups like my Ai Prime HD fell in the water fortunate i was insured. The hardest part of the QT part for my was to maintain the main tank with the CUC to keep them alive. that was it they are past the 50% mark so it wont take that long anymore.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the third copper treatment it keeps coming back at just one fish. I stared to think it might be brook which the fish is fighting against. He still eats very well but breathes pretty fast sometimes. I hope I can bring the next time some positive update.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 4 days of fresh water dips 95% of the parasite is gone. The last ones don’t give op that easily But he is looks really healthy at the moment. I hope that after 76 days of QT they can go back into their main tank.

OP
OP
M

MaxLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 78 days of QT they finally went back in de display tank. But already after one day i don’t trust it and saw I think really tiny white dot again. I tried to take a better look at it but I really can’t see it well enough to know what it is. I really don’t hope that they have to go back for another 75 days in QT but if it has to happen I’ll do it. It could also be just me being paranoïde. I will keep it updated!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 44 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 40 23.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back