Clownfish imitating Diamond Goby

clockman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed their clownfish being curious of the sand-sifting diamond goby and try to imitate what it does with the sand? My black/white ocellaris clown follows him around out of curiosity, but never aggressive against it, and will grab a mouthful of sand and spit it out which seems to be imitating what the goby does. He/she is also curious of the entrance to the sand cave under the live rock and pokes its face in it sometimes. Very entertaining to watch!

OP
OP
clockman

clockman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try! It happens so rarely that it's hard to catch it doing it, and it'll only do it once and not repeatedly. Probably figures that sand its mouth is not a pleasant feeling... ;Joyful

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! That sounds just like something a clown would do. Clowns (pigs/goats of the sea) will go through a lot of effort just for a single piece of food and they're actually pretty smart, so urs might recognize that ur sand sifter is getting food and he's just tryin to get a piece of the action :)

mine will basically wedge her face into her anemone's mouth to try to get at the food it just ate which means I have to try to distract her until the nem is done eating or keep the turkey baster in the tank to ward her off...

good luck getting a video and happy reefing!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back