Clownfish lifespan/stocking list

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a soft spot for the evil 'mater clowns. They tend to behave better when paired, otherwise the females can be...... aggressive
You'd like mine then. We named them Bonnie and Clyde. There current kill count stands at around 25. :eek:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximum age for wild clowns is around 28 years. I think PaulB has one pushing 4 decades. Determining maximum and expected and average for captive raised I'd guess is like guessing maximum and expected and average for domestic cats, max is 36 years and expected is 18-20 but average is only 14 years. So the above mentioned estimate of ~15 years seems reasonable.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there were 5

my picasso clown is MIA…

was somewhere between 5yr-6yrs old…thinking closer to 6yrs, which got me thinking what is average lifespan for clown in aquarium?

he did about 3-4 months ago get a lot of black spots that seemed to stay, never had noticed before but acted fine, always eating and no weight loss…

haven’t really added much over the last year, thinking time to restock….

180g mixed reef

scopas tang
Blue yellow belly regal
1 green chromis
Coral beauty
Timor wrasse
Fire shrimp

don’t think i want to add anymore tangs, eventually might try a sailfin but not sure, but prefer something that makes sense

not sure what i want to add, i did love the picasso clown

have had foxfaces, yellow wrasse, watanabe angels, tomini tang, diamond gobys, orange shoulder tang over the years…just not sure what avenue to go

open to stocking suggestions or what your thoughts are for must have reef fish

thanks
I personally know two people who had pairs of clownfish live 20 years in captivity. Yeah, my mouth dropped open when they told me, but one is a board member of our local reef society and credible. I have had freshwater fish live 10+ years, so I hope my clowns are around for many years as well.

The fact that your clownfish had the strange spots appear honestly makes me lean toward it dying from some illness, not old age. Sorry for the loss. :(

I think if it were my tank, I'd get a blenny of some sort (love my bicolor and blennies in general - such funny personality), another wrasse or two, and maybe a group of anthias (1 male, 3 females - or just an odd number group of females, as one will turn male most likely). I would also pick a bottom dweller, maybe a pearly head jawfish (if you have a deep enough fine grain sandbed), or watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd like mine then. We named them Bonnie and Clyde. There current kill count stands at around 25. :eek:
Hahahahaha... my black/white ocellaris pair are named Bonnie & Clyde. They squabble with eachother sometimes, but have never bothered anything else. I just couldn't come up with names for them so started going through famous pairs and it stuck, lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back