Clownfish mate died :( what should I do?

ILMX20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male ocellaris clown jumped out of the tank last night and I found him on the floor this morning. I’m really devastated. He’d just found the anemone in the tank A week ago and started hosting it (after four months of not know it was there!). He was the friendliest and sweetest of all my fish.
I don’t know why he jumped out. I even have a glass lid on the tank so he got through the slightest gap in the back. I don’t know what do to though. I don’t want to replace him because I think of my fish as my family (I know some might find it weird, but I form emotional connections with all my fish) and I’d feel guilty replacing him right now but I’m concerned for his mate. She’s been looking everywhere for him, she won’t eat and she hides whenever someone walks past the tank. I don’t want her to spend her whole life alone. Could I introduce a new clown in a few months or is sooner better for her rather than later. I just want it to be easiest for her. Thank you guys for your help.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand not wanting to replace a fish. After losing Jakob, my first and favorite clownfish, I honestly mourned for a few months. But I knew he had a mate, and I decided the best course of action was to get another clownfish. That would keep his mate from being depressed and it’d give another clown a good home. So I got another, I know it hurts to lose a friend like a clownfish, for that bond between human and fish is much more complicated than between another human or dog. But getting another clownfish doesn’t mean you forget the other, or replace the other. We gotta move on, and you’ll find a new addition makes you happier and softens the blow a bit more, you get a whole new friend’s company to enjoy. I’m really sorry for your loss, my condolences

OP
OP
I

ILMX20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand not wanting to replace a fish. After losing Jakob, my first and favorite clownfish, I honestly mourned for a few months. But I knew he had a mate, and I decided the best course of action was to get another clownfish. That would keep his mate from being depressed and it’d give another clown a good home. So I got another, I know it hurts to lose a friend like a clownfish, for that bond between human and fish is much more complicated than between another human or dog. But getting another clownfish doesn’t mean you forget the other, or replace the other. We gotta move on, and you’ll find a new addition makes you happier and softens the blow a bit more, you get a whole new friend’s company to enjoy. I’m really sorry for your loss, my condolences
Thank you so much. Leo was my first clownfish as well. I might wait a while before getting a new clown, just to feel it out a bit. I appreciate your understanding and reply. I thought people would think I’m weird for being sad, so thank you.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry for your loss,best interest in female is to get her a smaller younger mate ,honestly the sooner the better ,if waiting too long she may not accept :)

OP
OP
I

ILMX20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not replacing him, you are giving the female a partner.

I would replace sooner rather than later, make sure it’s a Male tho.
I mean, i do feel like it is replacing him, especially so soon, I understand what you mean though. I just feel bad because he was important to me. But thank you for your reply.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as soon as poss would be best ,find healthy one ,give bath or qt,but i think sooner the better to ward off aggresion of female

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to us a few weeks back... our clowns were the king and queen of the QT tank :( Our female jumped out and we've had a hard time trying to figure out if we want to replace her (oldest fish in the tank). Was such a great fish lots of personality. The male is now one of two fish remaining... behavior has changed a bit. Was wondering when a good replacement would come along not to mention how we should introduce it.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Leo was my first clownfish as well. I might wait a while before getting a new clown, just to feel it out a bit. I appreciate your understanding and reply. I thought people would think I’m weird for being sad, so thank you.
No problem at all, I totally understand. If you need anything feel free to pm. Also I waited a week or two before getting another partner, I don’t know about clownfish psychology but I figured putting a new clown in right away would overwhelm the current one. I gave her a week or two before picking out a nice small dark colored male.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back