Clownfish may have FLUKES?!

mooselodgepc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaking out a little bit. My clown out of nowhere is breathing rapidly and staying at the bottom of tank. First two photos are of the clown of concern, I’ve had him in my tank for 4+ months now no issues, I attached photo of my other two clowns and they are completely un phased. All levels, salinity, pH, NI NA, phosphates; etc all perfect. I know he’s clearly struggling with O2 but I have more than enough oxygen flow through my tank. Flukes maybe?! Prepping to fresh water dip him here shortly, any advice or other opinions on his current state before I do so?? Thanks so much!!!!
F28C93B3-B7FE-4CDF-8B9F-BAA6AD02187D.jpeg
2A9A2F78-51FC-40AC-9335-7FF0EBC8F1BB.jpeg 1974E93C-EA51-49AB-916F-C8D331D04B5A.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mooselodgepc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with your FW dip so you can rule that out flukes if that’s what it is.
I just completed the FW dip & he was swimming around a bit during that, breathing seemed to slow down a bit, then when I put him back into the tank he swam for a minute then went back down to the bottom and continued labored breathing. I can see tiny little particles from the gills and possibly dorsal fins also. I’d also like to mention that his eyes seem to be a little more bubble like?! Not sure if that’s indication if anything?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mooselodgepc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like his front dorsal fin may be damaged? A fight possibly? Dominance debate? The other clowns now seem more concerned or something and have been pushing him up against the substrate.
B9A82A87-2E2E-404B-A7BE-3672FFB8F3E1.png

Attachments

• E23BB08D-0882-46C3-9E0E-1BF77CD0709A.jpeg
    E23BB08D-0882-46C3-9E0E-1BF77CD0709A.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed the FW dip & he was swimming around a bit during that, breathing seemed to slow down a bit, then when I put him back into the tank he swam for a minute then went back down to the bottom and continued labored breathing. I can see tiny little particles from the gills and possibly dorsal fins also. I’d also like to mention that his eyes seem to be a little more bubble like?! Not sure if that’s indication if anything?!
Man, I’m honestly at a loss….. how long did you dip him for?

I’m just reaching here and it may not do anything at all, but maybe try a bath in new saltwater and treat it with cupramine or fritz paracleanse.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaking out a little bit. My clown out of nowhere is breathing rapidly and staying at the bottom of tank. First two photos are of the clown of concern, I’ve had him in my tank for 4+ months now no issues, I attached photo of my other two clowns and they are completely un phased. All levels, salinity, pH, NI NA, phosphates; etc all perfect. I know he’s clearly struggling with O2 but I have more than enough oxygen flow through my tank. Flukes maybe?! Prepping to fresh water dip him here shortly, any advice or other opinions on his current state before I do so?? Thanks so much!!!!
F28C93B3-B7FE-4CDF-8B9F-BAA6AD02187D.jpeg
2A9A2F78-51FC-40AC-9335-7FF0EBC8F1BB.jpeg 1974E93C-EA51-49AB-916F-C8D331D04B5A.jpeg

Sorry - I was offline overnight. The last picture shows the clown laying on its side, so it may not have survived the night.

See the dark shadow on the head stripe in the first picture? That is a sign of a problem in clownfish, but nobody knows that it means. It may be blood in the tissue under the skin that is more easily seen in the white portions of the fish.

There are four main causes of rapid breathing: water quality issues, flukes, protozoan disease and sometimes bacterial issues. The first three are contagious, so you will want to keep a close eye on the other fish.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mooselodgepc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I was offline overnight. The last picture shows the clown laying on its side, so it may not have survived the night.

See the dark shadow on the head stripe in the first picture? That is a sign of a problem in clownfish, but nobody knows that it means. It may be blood in the tissue under the skin that is more easily seen in the white portions of the fish.

There are four main causes of rapid breathing: water quality issues, flukes, protozoan disease and sometimes bacterial issues. The first three are contagious, so you will want to keep a close eye on the other fish.

Jay
Thank you so much for all of the insight! He thankfully did make it through the night, he’s been moved into isolation and is still continuing to remain at the bottom with rapid breathing. I just treated him and my whole tank with the bacterial treatment, is it safe to do the parasitic treatment in the same day? I have attached the products I purchased below. Again, thank you so much! I’m desperately trying to save him, and hate seeing him struggle.

Attachments

• 59F0241D-F8A9-4639-996B-CA84D2539680.jpeg
    59F0241D-F8A9-4639-996B-CA84D2539680.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all of the insight! He thankfully did make it through the night, he’s been moved into isolation and is still continuing to remain at the bottom with rapid breathing. I just treated him and my whole tank with the bacterial treatment, is it safe to do the parasitic treatment in the same day? I have attached the products I purchased below. Again, thank you so much! I’m desperately trying to save him, and hate seeing him struggle.

Sorry, I don't use herbal remedies like that, so I can't tell you if you can combine those products or not.

Jay

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back