Clownfish nipping at gsp

oldschoolmarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saddleback is nipping on gsp polyps I just added to an island in tank. They are not extending and when they do he takes a good nip and they retract. Normal? Been 3 days. Honestly never had gsp or xenias because of spread but decided to use it here.

image.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, dont think this is normal. Clownfish are usually reef safe and dont pick at corals. Are you feeding your clowns enough?

Also do they have a host yet? I have heard that clowns may nip at corals when looking for a host. They do this similarly with anenome to develop an immunity to there sting. Is this the only flesh like coral in there that resembles an anenome?

OP
OP
oldschoolmarcel

oldschoolmarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea next to this rock is it's host. I have 5 mini maxis in this aquarium so fish selection limited. The other clown is "hosted by the squamosa clam behind it.

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saddleback is nipping on gsp polyps I just added to an island in tank. They are not extending and when they do he takes a good nip and they retract. Normal? Been 3 days. Honestly never had gsp or xenias because of spread but decided to use it here.

image.jpg
I've got a pipe organ coral, xenia pom pom, duncan coral (all frags) doing well but my damsel fish won't leave my gsp frags alone... so I covered the gsp frags with stainless steel screens that allow plenty of air flow and light

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pipe organ coral, xenia pom pom, duncan coral (all frags) doing well but my damsel fish won't leave my gsp frags alone... so I covered the gsp frags with stainless steel screens that allow plenty of air flow and light
my blue yellow tailed damsels don't bother anything else in the tank but they sure like hanging around my GSP frags and I see them munching on them in plain site so during the meantime, I'm covering the GSP frags with the stainless steel screen coverings that allow plenty of air flow and light...until I re-home the damsels asap

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back