Clownfish nipping at sps?

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new green pocillopora frag, the frag had a little bit of tissue loss on one tip. The rest of the frag was healthy with all polyps out (frag is about 2.5 inches with 5 or so branches).

I noticed today a little more of the coral appeared to be white on one branch and I noticed the smaller of my two clowns nipping at that area of the new frag.

Is it normal for clowns to nip at sps corals if there is a dead spot on that coral? Seems quite weird to me.

Important to note the branch of the coral is white beginning at the tip not at the base.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new green pocillopora frag, the frag had a little bit of tissue loss on one tip. The rest of the frag was healthy with all polyps out (frag is about 2.5 inches with 5 or so branches).

I noticed today a little more of the coral appeared to be white on one branch and I noticed the smaller of my two clowns nipping at that area of the new frag.

Is it normal for clowns to nip at sps corals if there is a dead spot on that coral? Seems quite weird to me.

Important to note the branch of the coral is white beginning at the tip not at the base.
I've never personally heard of clowns nipping at corals, but I suppose it is possible especially if they aren't being fed enough. Maybe try increasing food for them a bit?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%

Back