Clownfish not eating after two of having them, getting very concerned

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I need some advise, and direction where to start. Trying not to over react and take a few simple logical steps, I'd like to do everything I can do keep these clownfish alive. I've read threads and posts for the past couple of hours and they're all contradictory and almost seem a bit random on what the suggested course of action is. Copper? Freshwater drip? PraziPro? etc...

I bought a pair of onyx clownfish online and they were delivered to me on 11/18/21. The female initially ate pretty well but stopped after a week, the male didn't eat for the first week and is now only picking at LRS reef frenzy, a little bit. I don't see anything physically wrong with either of them outside of stringy clear poop, which I've read is normal if they're not eating.

I've never had a pair of picky eating clownfish, and I'm concerned they might be sick and need medication, I just have no clue what medications to start with and what course of action is best. I have all the gear needed to setup a hospital tank in a 20L.

Foods tried:
-LRS reef frenzy (frozen)
-Reef Nutrition C2 Chroma Boost
-Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes
-BRS Premium Saltwater Fish Food Pellets
-Kent's Garlic Extreme, tired with all of the above.

Tank Parameters:
77F
0.0 Ammonia/Ammonium (red sea test kit)
0.0 Nitrite (Salifert)
~10 Nitrate (Nyos)
~7.9 dKH (Hanna)

Going through a small algae bloom as the clownfish pair and a ruby long finned fairy wrasse were the first additions to the tank. Tank has 30 lbs of gulf live rock that I flew in from FL, along with ~30 lbs of dry marco rock. Tank was setup with Live rock early October and fully cycled. Fairy wrasse eats very, very well and is happy and healthy (so far).

Medication I just recently bought and have readily available for treatment in a hospital tank:
-Copper Power
-Seachem Focus
-PraziPro
-API General Cure
-Seachem Prime (for setting up a hospital tank, can I use with Copper Power??)
-Dr Tim's One and Only (for setting up a hospital tank)
- Copper Hanna checker (for testing copper levels)

PXL_20211202_234036268.jpg PXL_20211202_234025977.jpg PXL_20211202_234042576.jpg

OP
OP
D

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admin, please check the title to: Clownfish not eating after two weeks of having them, getting very concerned

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Updates?

Did they start eating?

I would try general cure in QT if they never came around and have no other symptoms. The hope would be if it was something internal that they will swallow/absorb enough to help move things along.

OP
OP
D

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates?

Did they start eating?

I would try general cure in QT if they never came around and have no other symptoms. The hope would be if it was something internal that they will swallow/absorb enough to help move things along.
They're eating like pigs now!

Not 100% sure what changed, but after trying extreme garlic for 3-5 days. I stopped the garlic and tossed in a small bag of carbon in the sump. They started to eat well the day after the carbon was added.

No idea if there was a contaminant or something else in the water that would have bothered them? Either way they finally started eating like all the other clownfish I've had before.

Fingers crossed they'll stay happy and healthy

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not 100% sure what changed, but after trying extreme garlic for 3-5 days. I stopped the garlic and tossed in a small bag of carbon in the sump. They started to eat well the day after the carbon was added.

No idea if there was a contaminant or something else in the water that would have bothered them? Either way they finally started eating like all the other clownfish I've had before.

Great news! My pair once didn't eat for 2 weeks after moving apartments. Traumatized by the changes I guess!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good deal! I'm not sure why, but I initially missed your post, sorry!

jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back