Clownfish not eating + When to do first water change?

Icyymike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I got a pair of clowns early last week, 4 full days in the tank, and they have yet to eat. I have tried brine shrimp, pellets, and then today, I combined both with some small bits of garlic. Still nothing.

I am also in the process of cycling the tank. I put in Fritzyme 9 when I added the fish, plus 11 pounds of cured rock and 20 pounds of caribsea sand. (tank is 16 gallons).

Here are my parameters for every day since starting the tank.

My salinity has gotten pretty high and saw a spike in nitrates today, so I am wondering when I should do a water change to fix the high salinity? Also any ideas on feeding the clowns? They act fairly normal, except one spent a long time pacing and will pace again anytime i turn a pump on and off.

Additional images are of the clowns (No sign of brooklynella (but im a noob) and of my set up.
results.png
Screenshot 2023-10-28 151004 - Copy.png
1.png

Last edited:

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the comment before me but also I know that clownfish pairs of 3 can work but watch out for aggression because they could start fishing and have a back up plan if they do start to fight.

OP
OP
I

Icyymike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you cycle first and then add fish later. I'd get a Seachem ammonia alert badge for your tank and if your salinity is too high, yes - dilute it by removing some saltwater and replacing with RO water.
You can kinda see it in the picture but i do have one of those already on it. Have not seen it change from yellow yet.

OP
OP
I

Icyymike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the comment before me but also I know that clownfish pairs of 3 can work but watch out for aggression because they could start fishing and have a back up plan if they do start to fight.
I only have 2 clowns, its a reflection off the tank lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 clowns, its a reflection off the tank lol
Is that a power head / wave maker on the right wall? I would move it closer to the surface and direct it towards the opposite wall/ surface to disturb the water/air interface for better oxygenation in the tank.

The I would make a cave ( move or add some more rocks) so that the fishes have a hideout where they can escape from view. That might help them relax and start eating.

If they don’t start eating then they will almost certainly get sick. Frozen meaty foods or fresh chopped clams are a good option.

OP
OP
I

Icyymike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a power head / wave maker on the right wall? I would move it closer to the surface and direct it towards the opposite wall/ surface to disturb the water/air interface for better oxygenation in the tank.

The I would make a cave ( move or add some more rocks) so that the fishes have a hideout where they can escape from view. That might help them relax and start eating.

If they don’t start eating then they will almost certainly get sick. Frozen meaty foods or fresh chopped clams are a good option.
Yes it is, and i have it pointing straight up, because one of the clowns was freaking out with it pointing straight across. (Seemed like they didn't like that much flow although it should be fine. )

My plan was to gradually change the angle to not stress out the clown anymore. But its 793 gph on a 16 gallon and pointing up, so its moving the surface a good bit already, but I will change the angle a bit more horizontal and move it up.

Did pick up more rock yesterday, so will work on adding the cave as suggested. Thanks for the suggestion on the food too, will give that a go along with any other ideas thrown here.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is, and i have it pointing straight up, because one of the clowns was freaking out with it pointing straight across. (Seemed like they didn't like that much flow although it should be fine. )

My plan was to gradually change the angle to not stress out the clown anymore. But its 793 gph on a 16 gallon and pointing up, so its moving the surface a good bit already, but I will change the angle a bit more horizontal and move it up.

Did pick up more rock yesterday, so will work on adding the cave as suggested. Thanks for the suggestion on the food too, will give that a go along with any other ideas thrown here.
Oh, then leave the pump there, or get a smaller one so you don’t swim those fish to death. Sadly, that is a possibility, ime.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back