Clownfish now refuses to eat anything but pods

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20 gallon with 2 clowns. One of the clowns eats virtually whatever I out in the tank. For the past month the other clown will bite the food then spit It out. I had left earlier in August for about 8 days, and had ordered copepods just to make sure there was something in the tank for them, well problem being is now one of the clowns will not eat anything but pods now! I had been considering qt the fish, bit for the past 3 days I have watched her eat pods off the glass and searching around the sand bed for them. Mind you I have seen her take food once in the past month. The tank has plenty of pods. Is there a way to break this behavior or am I screwed? Better way to accommodate her rather than just watching her scavenge? She has become thin because as I said she refuses anything that isn't a pod. Could some kind of sickness turned her off to mysis, pellets and etc?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but you could try this food. Its not alive but they are pods so maybe this will help. What foods have you tried? Was the clown wild caught by any chance?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he really likes pods, try feeding these! Perhaps by mixing these with your other frozen foods, you can get him to snack on something else :)

20210909_135557.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might also work

OP
OP
Saltysocks

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but you could try this food. Its not alive but they are pods so maybe this will help. What foods have you tried? Was the clown wild caught by any chance?

I'll definitely look into that. As far as food I've tried: TDO chroma boost pellets, omgea one pellets, cobalt aquatics pellets, I've tired PE mysis, ocean nutrition frozen combo, frozen krill, and gvc mix flakes. At best the clown nips. As far as wild or captive I am not sure, I bought her from my lfs about a year and half ago and she's never exhibited such picky behavior UNTIL I added pods. I don't want to mistake her pickyness for illness but she really shows no signs so I'm trying to make connections.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely look into that. As far as food I've tried: TDO chroma boost pellets, omgea one pellets, cobalt aquatics pellets, I've tired PE mysis, ocean nutrition frozen combo, frozen krill, and gvc mix flakes. At best the clown nips. As far as wild or captive I am not sure, I bought her from my lfs about a year and half ago and she's never exhibited such picky behavior UNTIL I added pods. I don't want to mistake her pickyness for illness but she really shows no signs so I'm trying to make connections.
yeah those are very good :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try frozen cyclops, or can-o-cyclops, which are pods. You can also try hatching live baby brine shrimp, maybe its live food that it wants.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I'm thinking too
Bbs hatcheries are next to free and simple to run (we feed our dwarf seahorses out of the bbs setup that's literally a mason jar with an air pump and tubing rubber banded in place), so if you don't mind making a bit of extra water, everything eats bbs. We run two alternating setups and restart the culture every other day or so. They've got extremely low nutritional value, so we supplement with pods.

OP
OP
Saltysocks

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bbs hatcheries are next to free and simple to run (we feed our dwarf seahorses out of the bbs setup that's literally a mason jar with an air pump and tubing rubber banded in place), so if you don't mind making a bit of extra water, everything eats bbs. We run two alternating setups and restart the culture every other day or so. They've got extremely low nutritional value, so we supplement with pods.
That sounds great gonna check out some YouTube videos on that one

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great gonna check out some YouTube videos on that one
You can find some really slick setups on YouTube (I'm working on getting an imverted hatchery set up with plastic bottles, but I'm having a hard time keeping the airline tubing connections in the caps watertight with silicone.) Here's ours just before we added the eggs today. Desklamp with an incandescent light for heat, airline tube and pump, and the rubber band holds the tube in place around the mouth of the jar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-163257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-163257_Gallery.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 41

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some real food! I saw a list of like 6 different kinds of pellets, some flakes, and mysis. Gets some Rods brand fish only and eggs or some LRS. Mine don't like mysis either and the freeze dried stuff is meh.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some of these and watch your fish turn into piranhas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-175901_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-175901_Chrome.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 50

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny enough, a clownfish of someone's did a similar thing once it started eating my home made food. It refused anything but my food

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back