White around clownfish mouth

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

My larger clownfish has started to developt white patches around its mouth. Nothing that resembles ich to my knowledge.

Ive noticed her poking her face into my GSP quite regularly throughout the days. Could this be some sort of stinging?

Otherwise all regular behavior, eating fine etc and swimming around. Only other fish in the tank is another clown which I purchased at the same time. Both fish have been in this tank for a year now.

Anything to be concerned about?

*pic is zoomed in as struggled to get a clear image closer up.
20240210_143358.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

My larger clownfish has started to developt white patches around its mouth. Nothing that resembles ich to my knowledge.

Ive noticed her poking her face into my GSP quite regularly throughout the days. Could this be some sort of stinging?

Otherwise all regular behavior, eating fine etc and swimming around. Only other fish in the tank is another clown which I purchased at the same time. Both fish have been in this tank for a year now.

Anything to be concerned about?

*pic is zoomed in as struggled to get a clear image closer up.
20240210_143358.jpg
Mouth lesions on clownfish are most often caused by territorial disputes with other clowns. Even clowns that are paired up can squabble. You’ll likely never see it happen unless the fighting is really severe - when you enter the room, they stop fighting to watch you.

Coral stings usually cause hypermelanization, dark spots. I don’t know about GSP - my clown goes into that with no apparent issues.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is there anything i should do to help heal, medication etc?

If the clown is still eating normally, since we don't know the cause of this for sure, I would not treat with anything.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown is still eating normally, since we don't know the cause of this for sure, I would not treat with anything.
I seen another post of someone with a clown which is also getting similar markings but around the tail. People seem to be saying its Brook?

Hoping this isnt as ive had the clown ages now without adding any new fish to the tank. Plus the other clown is fine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That still looks like an injury, with possible secondary bacterial infection. Mouth injuries are a bit of an issue because they can stop a fish from feeding normally.

The white spot looks a bit larger between the two photos. If it is getting larger, that points more to a bacterial infection. The standard treatment for that would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin.

Jay

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still looks like an injury, with possible secondary bacterial infection. Mouth injuries are a bit of an issue because they can stop a fish from feeding normally.

The white spot looks a bit larger between the two photos. If it is getting larger, that points more to a bacterial infection. The standard treatment for that would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin.

Jay
Would Seachem Neoplex be ok for this? Seems a little difficult to get here in Australia though.

Also i seen on their website its fine to use in display tank but then further down it states its harmful for inverts. Bit confusing from them. I don't have a treatment tank at this stage so if im able to dose this to display or add to food etc that would be good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Seachem Neoplex be ok for this? Seems a little difficult to get here in Australia though.

Also i seen on their website its fine to use in display tank but then further down it states its harmful for inverts. Bit confusing from them. I don't have a treatment tank at this stage so if im able to dose this to display or add to food etc that would be good.

Neoplex is what I was suggesting. If you can't get that, what other true fish antibiotics do you have available to you?

Don't treat antibiotics in your main display, they can harm your beneficial bacterial.

Don't add antibiotics to the food unless you are prepared to calculate the proper dose. We have articles in the fish disease section to tell you how to do that, but it is a lot of work. Also, antibiotics in the water are best for external issues anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back