Clownfish on Side Breathing Heavy

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and one of my sons new clownfish is laying on his side trying to swim breathing very heavy. Tank is a 20 nuvo, been set up a month a half. Was an established tank before I got it and used all good live rock when I got it. Son picked out two small clowns last Saturday and they have done real well. Both eat like crazy and swim together. I added carbon real quick and Im running tests now

20200526_182047.jpg

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry wrote that in a hurry. Fish is in a breeder net. Salinity is 1.024, nitrates 5, nitrites 0, temps at 80. Just checked my ammonia and its at 1.0 omg.. I had gotten a ymg at the same time but he never made it a night. He didn't look good coming out of the bag. A hermit was eating him sunday morning, I removed him instantly and never thought to check as he looked whole. Fish were fine yesterday. No other inhabitants except a pistol and sexy shrimp, couple rock nems and corals. They all seem fine. Im doing a 5 gallon water change and making another 5 gallons.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the clownfish. You mention it’s been running for a month and a half but it was an established tank. Does that mean you used all the same sand/rock immediately and didn’t let anything stay exposed to air for long (less than a couple hours)? I’m asking because I’m wondering if the tank is cycling again on you. I would check ammonia levels first.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's troubling that the clown is experiencing heavy breathing. Could be flukes within the gills or something more sinister like Velvet.
A freshwater dip will either confirm or eliminate flukes from the situation. However in its weakened condition the dip "could" be rough or worse on the fish.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a non-cycle issue, Ammonia suffocates fish.
Do a water change to bring that down.
Keep a careful watch on ammonia.
Maybe take salinity down to 1.021 ish if you are Fish Only.
Lower salinity will help in respiration.
I would lower temp from 80 to 77 if possible, this again will help oxygen levels in water, provided you have good flow which breaks the surface.

Could be a parasite, keep watch...

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock was reused as well as some from my 60 gallon, rock was never out of the water for more then a few seconds. Sand was all new and rinsed before putting it in. All the corals and nems look good for now.

Just checked and the clown has passed already. His buddy keeps pushing at him through the net.. Im taking him out now

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance they were fighting?
They always swam together. As I said earlier the ammonia tested at 1.0 which I believe was the cause. Did a water change and brought it down. Will check it again and do another if necessary.

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish is doing good today but it almost looks like his mouth and around it are white. Is this something I should be concerned about??

20200527_183754.jpg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the tank has cycled properly (it should be processing ammonia better than this). You mentioned having another tank... I'd move everything to that tank and let this one cycle completely, or it's going to be a bumpy road for a while.

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the tank has cycled properly (it should be processing ammonia better than this). You mentioned having another tank... I'd move everything to that tank and let this one cycle completely, or it's going to be a bumpy road for a while.
I dont know how it wouldnt be cycled. Its been running for a month and a half. Used the live rock that came with it and another 10 pounds established live rock from my larger tank. Also used new live sand. Possible the ammonia is just from the yellow watchman that died? I could move the coral over but already have a large pair of clowns in my other tank and I would lose my tiny pistol and sexy shrimp in my bigger tank.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how it wouldnt be cycled. Its been running for a month and a half. Used the live rock that came with it and another 10 pounds established live rock from my larger tank. Also used new live sand. Possible the ammonia is just from the yellow watchman that died? I could move the coral over but already have a large pair of clowns in my other tank and I would lose my tiny pistol and sexy shrimp in my bigger tank.
what test kit are you using to test ammonia? i really think the tank has already cycled

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the other clown has stopped eating.. could this be a fungal infection from stress??

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked before bed and the last clown is laying on his side breathing heavy. Wonder if he has Brooklynella? Seems like it can take a clown really fast? My son is going to be devastated in the morning. How long should I wait to replace his fish, want to make sure nothing is left in the water.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, but not really surprised. My guess is still ammonia burned gills. Do yourself (and your fish) a favor, buy a big acclimation chamber that you can use to move stuff to your healthy tank.

Back