Clownfish pair selection

  • Thread starter Thread starter jcbasile
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Pretty much any other oc/perc as long as they’re different sizes. Ultimately up to you.
 
Okay, that’s what I thought but because it’s a mix I’m free to choose any other with size difference as the only limiter. Would it be better to get a larger one or a smaller one in terms of pairing up?
 
Okay, that’s what I thought but because it’s a mix I’m free to choose any other with size difference as the only limiter. Would it be better to get a larger one or a smaller one in terms of pairing up?
Probably better to get smaller one, unless you know for sure your current one is not a female.
 
Okay, that’s what I thought but because it’s a mix I’m free to choose any other with size difference as the only limiter. Would it be better to get a larger one or a smaller one in terms of pairing up?

Depends on how big ur current clown is. If it’s about an inch then you can probably safely add a larger clown.
 
0E1B3BEC-E047-4995-8566-4552B869B891.jpeg


I got my clowns about the same size and it didn’t make a difference, they got along well since day one.
 
0E1B3BEC-E047-4995-8566-4552B869B891.jpeg


I got my clowns about the same size and it didn’t make a difference, they got along well since day one.
I think when you get them the same size, there is a chance for more bickering and challenging for dominance. Whereas when you get different size clowns, the smaller one usually submits sooner, hence less bickering.
 
I think when you get them the same size, there is a chance for more bickering and challenging for dominance. Whereas when you get different size clowns, the smaller one usually submits sooner, hence less bickering.
Won’t that be temporary though? I got mine from 2 different stores and they were almost the same size. The took about a day to get along and were fine after that. Been together for over a year now. Garth and Megatron.
 
Won’t that be temporary though? I got mine from 2 different stores and they were almost the same size. The took about a day to get along and were fine after that. Been together for over a year now. Garth and Megatron.
Yeah it's temporary. I think it can just be stressful while they are hashing it out. Also I've had clowns jump out when they are hashing it out like this.
 
Won’t that be temporary though? I got mine from 2 different stores and they were almost the same size. The took about a day to get along and were fine after that. Been together for over a year now. Garth and Megatron.
It depends on how big they are. Two small clowns that are about the same size will figure it out. Two medium clowns may just kill each other because they've already started transitioning.
 
I have always gone with same size if under 1" and added a little guy if I lost one no matter which of the pair died. As long as the tank is large enough or room to escape the bickering, should be good.

My advise: get a smaller fish in the occe/perc or occe-perc hybrid variety.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new