Clownfish Pairing Issues

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an obvious female (super dominant and aggressive with any other clowns). She will be two years old next year. She killed the last male I had after they did so well together. I got another, about half her size and not even aggressive, and now she turned on him within seconds. Interactions were fine before releasing. Same species. Sitting in a breeders net until I can figure out if it's worth it or take it back.

I just question if she won't pair because when I got it as a baby, it was on it's near death bed in the tank at Petco and bullied just as bad by the others.

How long did you get them used to seeing each other before releasing them?
Has putting the female in the breeder's net for a period of time made a difference?
Any ideas?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! It's not at all common but I've seen that happen. You might need to isolate her first then add a male and after it's acclimated for a week or so then let her out. I've also seen a divorce in a decade old trio where the dominant male kicked the female out and changed sex. Even a well established pair can be quite aggressive towrds each other.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! It's not at all common but I've seen that happen. You might need to isolate her first then add a male and after it's acclimated for a week or so then let her out. I've also seen a divorce in a decade old trio where the dominant male kicked the female out and changed sex. Even a well established pair can be quite aggressive towrds each other.

If she'll let me catch her, I'll give it a try. I had considered letting the small one settle in for a week but wasn't sure how that would go since she's been with me since she was tiny. She doesn't even offer to bite to charge if I get in the tank for any reason. She has a weird relationship with the mandarin dragonet though where she will protect him and hover over him if another fish comes near. She gets along great with the yellow watchman though. It's a very interesting thing to watch.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling hair algae so please ignore it. Apparently, I have to change water more than once a week. This took a while to catch her but she’s doing this and the smaller one won’t leave her. So, maybe she’ll think about pairing and not killing her new friend.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I took a gamble and let her go tonight. So far, she’s behaving.
IMG_1375.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! Keep an eye. I had to remove my male and put him in a clear acclimation box a few times when my female got too aggressive with him. They are maroons though so more aggressive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back