Clownfish question?

Steven Goff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a clownfish question. I had 3 clownfish in my tank and then had velvet. I took all three out and put them in QT. However, one clownfish killed the other 2. I gave them plenty of hiding places and I felt bad about this. So the other day I was in Petco and they were breaking down their tanks - and their clownfish were 5 dollars apiece (7 for the black clownfish). So I took home 9 clownfish. I have all nine in a 125 gallon tank. They swim together and seem to get along fine. My question is - can I add the mean clownfish that was it QT with the other nine or does he need to stay separated? And will the nine that are together now - will they eventually become aggressive to each other or are they fine together?

By the way - the tank has plenty of live rock and places to hide. Also the only other fish in tank is a lawnmower blenny and a diamond goby.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule of thumb is that most tanks can only support one set of clowns or you’ll have problems. Only when the tanks are super long does it seem to work with 2 sets of clowns

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
here is my suggestion - Get yourself an acclimation box and place meany in there for 2-3 weeks. let him see the new clowns and the new clowns see him. His potential for aggression will lessen daily. Change the scape in the tank so it is UNFAMILIAR to meany.
Being the last clown, it should go well. BTW - His new name is " MEANY " !!!

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT the new clowns especially from petco, and knowing you have velvet in ur main DT.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should plan on leaving your display tank fallow until velvet dies off. My recommendation is to take some of these clowns back to the LFS and try to keep a bonded pair that gets along fairly well. I would keep a couple QT tanks instead of putting them all in one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back